Mountain Buzz banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Will be floating the Gates in October and am wondering about the flyfishing. Can anyone fill me in? Are the opportunities just here and there or is there consistent fishing throughout the 44 miles? Thanks.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Good fishing

We floated in August and the water was clear. Trout fishing was good (similar to C section) down to the Yampa. Below there we started seeing a number of carp that were willing to eat a nymph. Good fun. We even had a kid catch a pike minnow on a spinner in Split Mountain.

·
Registered
153 Posts
Floated Ladore 3 weeks ago and the Browns bit well day one, and on and off up to Jones hole. JH was good fir Eainbows as usual between creek inlet and big rock 75 yards down river on right. Panther martins fished well from boat when fly fishing wasn't an option. My buddy caught an 8 pound Squaw fish day two from a lunch sand bar. Good luck.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Just got off the gates....I found the fishing to be much better than anticipated. Most of the fish we smaller than I would have suspected, but it was really quite good. I probably had ten takes down to pot creek. I also did get one big dog, a 23" brown.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I work with the fish shockers in Dinosaur. There are lots of big trout through Lodore Canyon, but they end abruptly at the Yampa confluence. If the water is clear, you should be able to catch some. Jones Hole is good as always. We've been seeing a few trout through Whirlpool Canyon in the riffles, probably due to the clear water from lack of storms and flash flooding.

The pikeminnow is a nice one! But please make the release quick and don't take too long with the trophy shot on shore. That fish could be older than you. It's definitely 7+ years old.

·
Registered
210 Posts
I was down there in July and came up on some Utah fish & gamers doing a fish count via electro shock. They mentioned the various suckers as well as small mouth bass below Jones hole

1 - 13 of 13 Posts