Mountain Buzz banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
506 Posts
Any info as to the fishing in general. The water should be fishy in April-early May? I would like to strip streamers but have really no idea as to how the river fishes. Thanks.

Jim

·
Registered
1,441 Posts
I'll give you 2 guesses where this is in the GC. First one does not count. Enlarge bottom photo and look in the lower left corner

·
The Old Troll
458 Posts
The whole canyon is crawling with schools of 14+ Rainbows as in preceding photo. They are hungry and will hit on anything.

·
Registered
346 Posts
I agree the G.C. is loaded. The easier fishing is upstream of the little Colorado. I found tiny spoons the best on 6# spinning gear from the moving raft. Cast to an eddy and work it through the strike zone. With polarized glasses you'll see dozens. Crim the barbs and use single hooks, makes life way easier. The trout are also perfect pan size.

With the raft stopped, or from shore, small nymphs worked the best. Or small bead headed flies. Sinking tip line also is key. I found streamers and big flies to not work as well. But I did catch a 20 incher on the surface with a mouse fly.....so the river has lots to offer.

I had luck in the creeks, especially as we moved down river and it got silty. You just have to find holding spots, and there will be fish.

If the river gets really silty, try black fly with bead head. Or San Juan worm with a bead.

Cat fish 12-24 inches are also in many calm areas near camp spots.

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
:cool::cool:I had luck in the creeks, especially as we moved down river and it got silty. [/QUOTE]

Thanks for the good ideas. Hope to camp close to some of the "Creeks". Do you have any that you try for?

·
Registered
94 Posts
The first few days offer very easy fishing for 8 - 13 is inch rainbows. People just hike down to the main river and fish. They are everywhere! If you are looking to hike in, i understand that soap creek and badger are good places to look. somewhere around mile 20-30, We went by a group that had hiked in. They told me they had 30 fish on the stringer for a fish fry! I think all the side creeks that run year round have trout in them.

·
Sponsoring Vendors
1,593 Posts
Ive caught trout in the big eddy at 202, so they are out there pretty much the whole way. The first 30 miles are the best and are easy fishing with whatever you like, as said, they are hungry and plentiful. Orange scuds are the surefire for the first 20 miles. When you are bored with that, huck streamers or whatever else. They will take dries readily during a good hatch. I ran an orange scud dropping off an orange stimi for the first five days and wasnt disappointed with top or bottom action.

Its nice to see the trout have come back with a vengeance. Several years ago I ran it at the end of the shocking runs and I caught very few trout. Glad they gave that up.

ditto on most of the bigger side creeks holding trout. most of them are small.

There are some big ol cats in havasu if you are into that.

If you catch a chub, just be gentle and throw its ugly ass back!!

·
Registered
72 Posts
I heard that the more you fondle your catch and the more of its slimy coating you disturb the less likely the fish will survive the incident. Can anyone confirm this?

Sent from my iPhone using Mountain Buzz

·
Registered
178 Posts
The first 5 or 6 days of our July/August trip, I was awoken each morning by the sound of rising trout. Not bringing a rod is the only regret I have! They are everywhere.

·
Registered
1,441 Posts
I heard that the more you fondle your catch and the more of its slimy coating you disturb the less likely the fish will survive the incident. Can anyone confirm this?

Sent from my iPhone using Mountain Buzz
Use a landing net with a rubber net or no net. Always wet your hands before handling fish, mash down barbs on hooks. Return to water asap and all will be well. If the fish swallows your hook way down in its throat, cut off the line as close to the hook as possible and leave it there.

·
Registered
459 Posts
Its nice to see the trout have come back with a vengeance. Several years ago I ran it at the end of the shocking runs and I caught very few trout. Glad they gave that up.

ditto on most of the bigger side creeks holding trout. most of them are small.

There are some big ol cats in havasu if you are into that.

If you catch a chub, just be gentle and throw its ugly ass back!!
It is sad to hear anti native species sentiment from river runners...

·
Sponsoring Vendors
1,593 Posts
I didnt say that you should bank chubs when you catch them. I didnt say that the chub should be eradicated. I said be gentle and throw them back, and its hard to argue the fact that they are ugly.

Im not anti native, the dam is. If you get rid of the dam the water will warm up and all the trout will die. Problem solved, other than that, its not going to work. Im all for that if you want to come up with a solution for power and water storage for the masses of non native inhabitants of this country.

Shocking and grinding up the trout above river mile x is silly, and I am glad they stopped. The cost was absurd, the trout bounced back extremely fast. The environment is perfect for them and bad for the chub. Should we pay to shock trout forever? Total eradication would be a little easier for me to support but that is unrealistic and was never their goal. We created a non native environment and introduced a species that thrives in that environment. As long as the dam is there lets let it be what it is, an excellent trout fishery. Im not saying we should have put them there but we did.

The chubs are thriving in native environments like Ruby/Horsethief and Westwater. Every third fish you catch in blackrocks will be a chub. You dont catch trout down there because the environment wont support them, to warm.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts