Mountain Buzz banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking for details on Yampa - first permit! Anything helpful. Suitable for kids? (wouldn't take them down MFS yet). Best hikes? Artifacts? Super stoked and already rigging the boat!

·
Registered
358 Posts
The Yampa is awesome. Two years ago was my first time and now we try to hit it every year. Really the only rapid of concern is Warm Springs and it is fairly straight forward. There is a trail across the rocks on river right to boat flip eddy so if you are concerned about the kids they can be walked around. The day section down the Green is fun bouncy wave trains.

Lots of cool stuff to see; caves, pictographs, side canyons; the Whitis river map has some info on side attractions etc. The hike up Bull canyon from the Harding camps is a must do as is the hike to the pictographs from Jones Hole (on the Green) taking in the "butt block" waterfall along the way.

This is helpful when choosing campsites;

Yampa

you make requests and get what they give you. I think we got 3 of our requested 4 last year and thank goodness got a Harding that we had not requested; we had completely missed the hike to the rim on the previous trip!

When is your launch? We have June 4th.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The Yampa is awesome. Two years ago was my first time and now we try to hit it every year. Really the only rapid of concern is Warm Springs and it is fairly straight forward. There is a trail across the rocks on river right to boat flip eddy so if you are concerned about the kids they can be walked around. The day section down the Green is fun bouncy wave trains.

Lots of cool stuff to see; caves, pictographs, side canyons; the Whitis river map has some info on side attractions etc. The hike up Bull canyon from the Harding camps is a must do as is the hike to the pictographs from Jones Hole (on the Green) taking in the "butt block" waterfall along the way.

This is helpful when choosing campsites;

Yampa

you make requests and get what they give you. I think we got 3 of our requested 4 last year and thank goodness got a Harding that we had not requested; we had completely missed the hike to the rim on the previous trip!

When is your launch? We have June 4th.
Awesome, thanks wshutt! We have fished Jones before (hiked in) and actually were lucky enough to camp there a couple of nights...Good stuff. We're launching June 19.

·
Registered
175 Posts
We launched end of May last year.

Here is the trip video 1st trip for us so it was all new. Have the actual TR at my web site but the movie gives a good feel for the trip. Especially how gut-wrenching Warm Springs was at high water if you got a little far out there.

·
Registered
358 Posts
Deadlizard you must have been riding the big crest last year. We launched June 4th just as it was coming down on the backside, we figured it was about 13,000cfs when we hit Warm Springs. It was only my second trip on my own little cat and I have to confess to a slug of nasty cinnamon (mouth wash!) whiskey when I pulled into the "boat flip" eddy. I was soooo close to bailing and having my husband walk back and take my boat through - "chicken noises".

·
Registered
175 Posts
It was fast.

Think we were just under 17K at Warm Springs and just over 20K on the Green. Video does not do justice to how nasty the left 2/3rds of the rapid was. But in the end, it was the standard Warm Springs line.

I don't think you can go wrong doing any of the standard 1st timer tourist stops/visits/hikes on the Yampa. It's all good.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
outside link?

Think we were just under 17K at Warm Springs and just over 20K on the Green. Video does not do justice to how nasty the left 2/3rds of the rapid was. But in the end, it was the standard Warm Springs line.

I don't think you can go wrong doing any of the standard 1st timer tourist stops/visits/hikes on the Yampa. It's all good.
DeadLizard - can you PM me or provide an outside link? Trying to share with my sister and she can't get the video to work (not a member of the Buzz)

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Awesome! Thanks, DL!

·
Registered
32 Posts
Ran it last year, June 19 launch. Massive clouds of mosquitos everywhere. If we didn't have head nets and skeeter proof shirts, I think we would have all gone crazy.

Sent from my iPad using Mountain Buzz

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Ran it last year, June 19 launch. Massive clouds of mosquitos everywhere. If we didn't have head nets and skeeter proof shirts, I think we would have all gone crazy.

Good to know on mosquitoes. I know its no indication of what this year will be but what was the CFS the day you launched? Thanks!

·
Registered
358 Posts
Here is the flow for 2014 and 30 yr average. Note the scale is log. Not sure how to make it display but I attached the hydrograph. Too bad about hitting the skeeters guess the little buggers enjoyed the flood waters.

So I see it automatically displays, yay!

Attachments

·
Registered
32 Posts
Not sure what the CFS was, but I can tell you it had been dropping fast, so the riverbanks were moist for a about 50 yards inland. Seemed like we hit it at the perfect breeding time. A week earlier or later probably would have made a big difference. This year it may be dried up by then and you will enjoy perfect bug free weather. Yeah, that's what's gonna happen! Have fun!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Loved the Yampa!!

Had the best camp river left...Mather's I think it was? Beautiful soft white sand. I second the Mosquitos. If its high water they can be insane. I really loved Big Joe rapid, it was super fun. I would say its great for kids.

·
El Chupanibre
133 Posts
Stunning scenery, easy shuttle, great camping. Jones Hole hike and camps are the best. Get a Utah fishing licence, the fishing around Jones Hole can be fantastic.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts