Mountain Buzz banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

I'm looking to get into paddling and am currently looking at getting an IK. Unfortunately I have a very small budget but have come across a couple on craigslist and was wondering if they are good deals. I saw a tomcat tandem for $400 - from 2005 though - and also an aire (not sure model) tandem for $325- but this one is from 1996 or so. These seem a bit old to me, but I'm not sure how long these things last. Any input?

Thanks

·
Registered
140 Posts
I would say both are decent deals. I have a aire that is older than that and it still is in good shape and my tomcat is about the same age and is in very good shape.

Rob

·
Registered
688 Posts
Both are good deals assuming they are in good shape. I have a 1994 Aire Lynx 1 and it works great. Are there any details about these particular IK's? Do they have any patches, inflatable or foam floor, pictures?

The Tomcats are by Aire, but they are made in china. If the boat says Aire on it it is made in the USA.

·
Registered
688 Posts
Looks like those boats are from a commercial river guide. I would reply asking for more info. They look ok, but I would defiantly want to to make sure they have been taken care of.

·
Registered
421 Posts
I bought a tomcat tandem from them brand new for 650 great boat I've ran it threw class 3 water so far alot of fun! they shipped and had it to me quickly great service

·
Registered
326 Posts
The first thing you really need to determine is what class whitewater do you want to do, and do you plan on mostly yourself going or with other people with you. This will help on making a good decision on wether to get a single or tandem. I bought a single Tomcat 6 years ago and have logged over 1000 river miles doing mostly classIII, some mild class IV. The great thing about a single Tomcat is it is big enough to move the main paddle seat to the back of the boat and put another seat in the front and you can haul a dog, or small person in the front. I ran many mellow rivers with my young daughter in the front. The tandem Tomcat is somewhat difficult to manuver by yourself because it is almost 14' long, but it is great for longer trips, and can actually hold 3 people comfortably. By far the best inflatable out there for the price.

·
Registered
25 Posts
I would like to jump in and ask a question as well. Any experience with the Tomcat Tandem? I want to run class III/IV sections on Clear Creek, Upper CO, Blue and the Poudre with myself and my wife. Day trips only. The reviews are good and a new tandem is under $1,000! however, I'm 6'1" and weight 225, so I was wondering if this would support me?
-Murky

·
Registered
326 Posts
Yes, Yes and Yes, that's why I stated in the above post that this is simply the best IK period for the price. A single tomcat is rated for 320 lbs., and the tandem is rated for around 700 lbs, so you can put 2 adults and plenty of gear on it for multi-day trips. The bladders are the largest in the Ik arena making them extremly stable in tough class III-IV water. For the money saved instead of buying the more expensive Aire it is well worth it.

·
Registered
55 Posts
I went through what your going through last summer. I ended up buying an older Hyside for a good price in the fall. Get in touch with me when you get a boat and when the water goes down. I'm always looking to go out on my IK. Have you run an IK before?

·
Registered
25 Posts
Okay, pretty excited as I have a Tomcat ordered for myself and a Strike for the wife. VernanBarbarian, yes, I have ran an IK a couple of times and I am all in now as the raft has been sold.
I've been looking at vids online and it seems that just about any water is possible with the right skill set. I think we are going to practice on the upper C for a while until we feel comfortable. I live 20 minutes or so from the put-in on Clear Creek, but after looking at it today, the IK will have to wait a while as it is jamming.
Quick question for anyone, what do most of you carry in the IK? Being a rafter, I'm used to having a fair amount of gear and it looks like I should be able to lash some bags and other gear in the IK.
Any recommendation on gear bags, accessories, etc., would be appreciated.
Looking forward to the new venture!
-Murky

·
Registered
140 Posts
Make sure you get thigh straps. They help with control and holding yourself in the boat. I also have a thwart that I use as a foot brace. I prefer the thwart over the aire foot pegs. I have also seen some nice foam foot brace designs on the buzz. I also prefer a thwart for my back versus the cheetah chair.

I just carry tear aid for the repair kit and a k pump as the tubes will get soft quickly in cold water since there is not a lot of volume in the tubes.

If you pump up the tomcat too hard you will raise your center of gravity a little too high.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Excellent, thank you. Thwart and thigh braces have been ordered. The Upper C is under 4,000cfs, so I'm giving it a go this weekend.

Sent from my iPad using Mountain Buzz

1 - 14 of 14 Posts