Mountain Buzz banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK, here goes: What I'm looking for would allow me to do some III or (at most) IV-, but ideally would also have enough space for self-support for overnight trips.

With that in mind, I'm wondering whether a double would make more sense than a single - She Who Must Be Obeyed will be accompanying me on at least a few day trips. Beyond that, I'm pretty good-sized - 6'3" and about 225, which would, I think, affect boat choice as well. Maybe one of each? But I digress.

Not looking to break the bank, but am definitely willing to spend for a durable, high-quality boat that will last for a good long time. Probably not at the stratospheric heights of Sotar, but that's another story . . .

Along those lines, are there used options that anyone would recommend? Checked Airkayak, Sierra South and NRS for their stocks, and will keep browsing, but if anyone out there's had a good experience (with either a make or a dealer) would love to hear about it.

Thanks, and happy paddling (and skiing)!

·
Registered
688 Posts
I would highly recommend Aire. I have a Aire Lynx 1 that I bought used. It was made in 1994. Still works great and has had no repairs. The only thing I have done to it is replace the foam floor with a inflatable floor just to save space while transporting. I have heard that the Tomcat (Chinese IK by Aire), is a great IK for the money. About $600 new and can be found for $300-$400 used. Good for haling gear or day trips. They make tandem Tomcats as well, but are probably a bit harder to find on the used market. I will most likely be doing my first multi day IK trip early next month. A 5 day trip on the Salt. If you haven't decided by then I will post my experience on this thread.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ah, the Salt . . . .. bucket list material for me

Thanks for your input and advice, and looking forward to your trip report.

Have fun!

·
Registered
432 Posts
I don't think you could wrong with an Aire Lynx tandem based on your desire to have a passenger sometimes and the ability to multi-day and your size (of course a single and a tandem would be even better! -- I wouldn't be surprised at all if you ended up with both once you get hooked -- I currently have a single and a couple of tandems.)

·
Beginner
2,470 Posts
Get two boats. A sporty Force, Thrillseeker, or something else small and agile for the most common IKing on day trips in the difficulty you mention and an outfitter-style that she can paddle when you go together and you can overnight with. A used Trib with a good repair kit would work great for this.

·
Registered
688 Posts
I would also like to point out that Aire is updating their website right now. So if you are unfamiliar with there products you should check out one of there dealers.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yeah, I saw that the Aire site was down, too

Network Solutions, I think it was.

Cool - more online digging tonight - and great responses from everybody, with a consensus on Aire. Interesting.

Also, is it true that Aire is actually built in the US? That would be a plus for me.

Thanks!

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
@ David Spiegel - good article

Thanks for the review link - looks like he did his homework, under the most scenic conditions imaginable.

Thanks!

·
Registered
688 Posts
Aire are built in the US! Tributary and the like are a Chinese product overseen by Aire. Actual Aire products are all made in the US as far as I know. With a 10 year warranty with all their boats.

Sent from my iPhone using Mountain Buzz

·
Paddling in to the Future
574 Posts
Aire are built in the US! Tributary and the like are a Chinese product overseen by Aire. Actual Aire products are all made in the US as far as I know. With a 10 year warranty with all their boats.

Sent from my iPhone using Mountain Buzz
Yup all actual Aire boats are built just 6 miles down the road from my house. Great people down there.

·
Registered
312 Posts
if you are on a budget... consider making an offer on the Aire Caracal that's on the swap... I believe those boats were better made than the tomcats ... it looks nice.

·
Registered
267 Posts
OK, here goes: What I'm looking for would allow me to do some III or (at most) IV-, but ideally would also have enough space for self-support for overnight trips.

With that in mind, I'm wondering whether a double would make more sense than a single - She Who Must Be Obeyed will be accompanying me on at least a few day trips. Beyond that, I'm pretty good-sized - 6'3" and about 225, which would, I think, affect boat choice as well. Maybe one of each? But I digress.

Not looking to break the bank, but am definitely willing to spend for a durable, high-quality boat that will last for a good long time. Probably not at the stratospheric heights of Sotar, but that's another story . . .

Along those lines, are there used options that anyone would recommend? Checked Airkayak, Sierra South and NRS for their stocks, and will keep browsing, but if anyone out there's had a good experience (with either a make or a dealer) would love to hear about it.

Thanks, and happy paddling (and skiing)!
Hi

I have owned both the SOTAR and the Aire Force ik

Sotar .... GREAT boat to learn in, room for overnight gear . Very stable .... I ran class IV water at high flows in it ..... fun ...fun boat.

Aire force .....WOW ..... its a race car ! Fast quick handling ...I have also run class IV in it...... no room for camping .....fast quick handling comes with a price ! ...,stability is much less than stoar

I loved both boats !

I do NOT like tandem iks.

I agree with another if your goals are as stated 2 boats will serve you better !

Get a cool ik for yourself like the force.

Get a cool r2 rig ....like a mini max, puma or shredder style boat......WAY MORE STABLE than a tandem ik .... in my view more fun too ! ..... sitting side by side allows you talk to each other .... these boats all have room for overnight gear . And these boats are class V capable boats....I have personally run the paddlecat, min max and a shredder down class V water ....very fun ! ...I have also used my paddlecat for an overnight ... not a problem !

I have owned the hyside paddlecat and mini max , both are GREAT r2 boats ....roll only a little bigger than a ik .....heck my paddlecat rolls smaller than the sotar ik .....but that litlle aire force rolls small too

I have not listed it yet but my paddlecat is up for sale if you are interested ? Been a great boat for me ! .... just like my mini max a little more,

So to recap ..., get a good solo ik for you ....they handle way better than tandems

and good r2 raft for the overnight, and 2 person days .....way better handling than a tandem ik and more gear caring capabilities

scott

Scott

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
So, one boat down, one boat to go . . .

Just got a used Aire Outfitter single, with pegs, straps and thwart seat thrown in, for about $750.

In for a penny, in for a pound, and still going with a tandem for my next. It's down to a Lynx 2 (leaning strongly that way) an Outfitter 2 . . . or maybe the Tributary Strike tandem? Any experience with the last of these three?

Thanks again for all the tips and site recommendations. :D

·
Registered
688 Posts
Just got a used Aire Outfitter single, with pegs, straps and thwart seat thrown in, for about $750.

In for a penny, in for a pound, and still going with a tandem for my next. It's down to a Lynx 2 (leaning strongly that way) an Outfitter 2 . . . or maybe the Tributary Strike tandem? Any experience with the last of these three?

Thanks again for all the tips and site recommendations. :D
My father has a Lynx 2 that he got new in 1996. It hasn't seen a whole lot of whitewater, but it is holding up great. The Lynx series has seen a lot of use by a lot of people. The Outfitter if pretty new and doesn't have much of a reputation. Though they are both built by the same company, and I am sure you probably can't go wrong with either one. Plus I think the Outfitter is based off the Lynx, just with a wider profile to make it more stable.

I have no experience with the Strike, but I have seen the Tomcat in action and I am pretty impressed. Aire tends to remind us over and over again, that even though some of their boats are made in China, they still are over seen by Aire and hold up to the expectations that their costumers have.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Difference between tomcat and Lynx

I have a super lynx and a tomcat solo. Both are awesome in their way. The fabric on the Tomcat is more stretchy than the US made Lynx. So the Tomcat line will flex more in holes etc. I don't feel this is a problem with the short solo. But harder water in a tandem may be more solid in the Lynx boats.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts