Mountain Buzz banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Over the past two seasons me kayaking, I have been filming to show my progression through this sport. Since it is winter and almost a foot of snow on the ground, I decided to go through and put some of the clips together to show my first roll to first Class V. I did end up missing some footage, such as cracking my helmet... All three times... On the same rock... At different water levels each time... (Photos of the helmet below.) But hey, I go kayaking to have the time of my life, not to get footage. Check the video out if you guys want.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FSdXmjG13JY

All I got to say, "I wanna get better."

Attachments

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
What'd you say was the most beneficial thing you did to improve?
That is a good question. I'd have to say getting out there each day and dream about getting out each day when I stayed home. Even when I had Giardia I was doing 1 or 2 trips a day... Those were fun...

Sent from my LG-D851 using Mountain Buzz mobile app

·
Registered
73 Posts
That is a good question. I'd have to say getting out there each day and dream about getting out each day when I stayed home. Even when I had Giardia I was doing 1 or 2 trips a day... Those were fun...

Dang man thats intense, I wish I could go out each day. What rivers were you on?

·
Registered
805 Posts
Not bad for two years at all! Also appreciate the "I want to get better," mantra. Keep getting out there!

Not to be the bearer of bad news, maybe just a healthy reality check, but Pine Creek at a level where you can just waltz through the hole, sneaking Gore Rapid and going upside down, and getting lucky to flush out of Tunnel does not qualify as ready for Class V. All of those rapids at those flows are at most difficult V- and before you head to real deal class V, you've got to be able to make those kinds of rapids look flawless. Your progression is solid. Please don't misinterpret, but just know that a solid class V run probably isn't for you yet.

It's been said many times before but the best way to get to Class V is to crush every hard line you can imagine on the local class IV. Your video for this spring could be something like "styling the numbers at high flows and catching every eddy." Making every ferry, punching every hole, boofing every rock (which it looks like you've been doing) and smoothing out that stroke will make you the best paddler the quickest. Surviving class V is a good way to realize how far you've got to go but not the fastest way to progress (and also the most dangerous way forward).

Just some unsolicited advice from a coach/dad who's got too much time on his hands on a Sat morning cause he's got to stay with the kids since the wifey is sick and he can't shred the bounteous powder.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Not bad for two years at all! Also appreciate the "I want to get better," mantra. Keep getting out there!

Not to be the bearer of bad news, maybe just a healthy reality check, but Pine Creek at a level where you can just waltz through the hole, sneaking Gore Rapid and going upside down, and getting lucky to flush out of Tunnel does not qualify as ready for Class V. All of those rapids at those flows are at most difficult V- and before you head to real deal class V, you've got to be able to make those kinds of rapids look flawless. Your progression is solid. Please don't misinterpret, but just know that a solid class V run probably isn't for you yet.

It's been said many times before but the best way to get to Class V is to crush every hard line you can imagine on the local class IV. Your video for this spring could be something like "styling the numbers at high flows and catching every eddy." Making every ferry, punching every hole, boofing every rock (which it looks like you've been doing) and smoothing out that stroke will make you the best paddler the quickest. Surviving class V is a good way to realize how far you've got to go but not the fastest way to progress (and also the most dangerous way forward).

Just some unsolicited advice from a coach/dad who's got too much time on his hands on a Sat morning cause he's got to stay with the kids since the wifey is sick and he can't shred the bounteous powder.
Exactly! Pine Creek was not a Class V when I ran it, but Gore and Tunnel were. I'm still considering them my first class V rapids, but in no means am I calling myself a Class V paddler. I didn't take the bigger lines, but it was just over a year and two months since I first sat in a kayak. Next year I am going to push myself harder. Boof the rocks I can, catch micro eddies, take the hardest lines, and get demolished in holes and staying in my boat. Thanks!

·
Registered
444 Posts
I like it. What others have said. Also, now that you are on your way, the fastest way to progress from here is to move to a place where you can boat throughout the winter. Even if it is for just one winter. (Colorado tends to draw people back) A solid year of boating constantly can easily equate to 3 colorado summers.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I like it. What others have said. Also, now that you are on your way, the fastest way to progress from here is to move to a place where you can boat throughout the winter. Even if it is for just one winter. (Colorado tends to draw people back) A solid year of boating constantly can easily equate to 3 colorado summers.
Being in high school, I sadly cannot do that. But when college comes around, I will put that into consideration, but I also am in love with skiing.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Style | Site Zed

I think this article and the comments that follow it apply to this thread and anyone on the fast track to Class V...
That was well said. Definitely a good read, but I don't think I am on that track. I haven't put myself in a situation I didn't think I could run. A wise friend of mine told me, "If you are nervous and scared, walk it. If you are nervous or scared, think about walking. Keep in mind, you can walk most rapids."

·
Registered
253 Posts
Great job, C. I've enjoyed watching some of your progression. Of course, I'll be unable to watch much more first hand since you're already beyond what I can do. So keep those videos coming!

Kerry

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Great job, C. I've enjoyed watching some of your progression. Of course, I'll be unable to watch much more first hand since you're already beyond what I can do. So keep those videos coming!

Kerry
Thanks Kerry!

·
Registered
2,113 Posts
I just skipped to the end, but that line on Tunnel actually looked pretty good to me. Of course it became a lot easier last year. In an attempt to summarize some of the reaction here, I think there's a little too much focus and saying you ran a class V rapid. Just focus on becoming better and progressing to more difficult runs as you become ready and focus less on the magic "class V" name. Looks you're doing great though. Good stoke.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I just skipped to the end, but that line on Tunnel actually looked pretty good to me. Of course it became a lot easier last year. In an attempt to summarize some of the reaction here, I think there's a little too much focus and saying you ran a class V rapid. Just focus on becoming better and progressing to more difficult runs as you become ready and focus less on the magic "class V" name. Looks you're doing great though. Good stoke.
To be honest, the "Class V" part was to draw people in. I like your advice on "getting better" not "running harder crap." Which is what I want to do: get better

1 - 20 of 44 Posts