Mountain Buzz banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,

I am looking for my first raft. I have been using a ducky for a while and want to get into some bigger water.

Most of my trips will be 2-4 people with the occasional weekend to week trip with camping gear. I am wanting to keep budget around $4000 for raft. I will build or buy frame down the road.

Mostly raft the Colorado- Pump house to Statebridge also Arkansas in Colorado, but also looking to go up to rivers in the state of Arkansas and Ocoee in Tennessee as they are closer to me. Tempted to go eventually do the Gualey in West Virginia. Hoping to raft Middle Fork next summer.

I assume 13-14ft is the size to pursue. Not against going cat, but have a hard time seeing 4 people on a trip with a cat and gear.

Eyeing RMR 14, Aire Super Puma, Hyside Outfitter 13, NRS otter 14. What else should I be looking for? What would you recommend.

I am sure this had been discussed a ton, but I appreciate your help. The used market is lacking at the moment, and want to get on the water by the end of summer.

Thank you!

·
Super Moderator
2,841 Posts
If you want to carry gear and 2 couples, all the boats you've list sound small.

I'd be looking at a 16'er or a wide 14 raft, not a cat.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the response. The more I talk to people, the more I realize the Super Puma is just too small. Although I will likely only do a couple over night trips a year, a 14 footer is a better option.

Leaning Hyside Outfitter 14, NRS Otter 142, Aire D14(although thats at the max price since it doesnt come with thwarts.) or go cheap with an RMR 14.

Someone help me decide. Any experiences with these? In the 14 ft range whats the choice. Maravia and Sotar are out of my price range unless I find a decent used raft.

·
Registered
194 Posts
The Tributary 14 is a quality raft at a decent price that you might also consider.

Sent from my iPhone using Mountain Buzz

·
Registered
522 Posts
The NRS 142 boats are narrower than many 14ers, closer to 6.5 ft. If you really want to do four people and gear, I'd look at 14ers in the 7 foot wide range. Hyside Outfitter 14 xt, NRS 140, and RMR 14 fit the bill I think. Personally I thing the RMR boats look great for the price, but some folks just want hypalon.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The NRS 142 boats are narrower than many 14ers, closer to 6.5 ft. If you really want to do four people and gear, I'd look at 14ers in the 7 foot wide range. Hyside Outfitter 14 xt, NRS 140, and RMR 14 fit the bill I think. Personally I thing the RMR boats look great for the price, but some folks just want hypalon.
Thanks for the response. The Otter 142 came at the recommendation of a shop in Denver. He acted like it was something that would be fun for East Rivers with enough room for over nighters out west. I am a backpacker and most of my camp gear currently is light and compact.

I was dead set on a RMR originally. My only hesitation is traveling with it rolled up. Most of my trips my wife and I travel light without a trailer. Am I over thinking this? Is the Hypalon that much better for rolling? I know it looks like weight wise, I am saving 20-30lbs. Doesnt sound like much, all weight adds up.

I might still end up with the RMR. That price is just soooo great.

·
Registered
3,392 Posts
If you want to carry gear and 2 couples, all the boats you've list sound small.

I'd be looking at a 16'er or a wide 14 raft, not a cat.
Agree--a 13'-14' boat isn't bad for a day run. Anything smaller than 16' is small for 4 adults for a multiday.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts