Mountain Buzz banner

1 - 20 of 58 Posts

·
Registered
1,235 Posts
Interesting that he would call out Evan. Maybe they are starting to realize that over-the-top partying doesn't mix with high level first descents.

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The site is called Unsponsored because as primarily a review site I do not accept offers from Kayak related companies to endorse their kit. I aim to provide the paddle community with something they might like to read and get something out of.

In reality all professional kayakers are supported or sponsored some how. I dont see this being an issue.

·
Registered
5,507 Posts
Professional kayaker is a word that should disappear.. Unless your ego needs that extra word honestly.. I'm pro boys time to crush that sugar bush nasty style... I am a professional life liver boys and gals, love yah all having fun is enough for me. Pain is pleasure

·
Registered
795 Posts
Sheesh....only the Buzz. Most, if not all, other sports celebrate and respect their professional, sponsored athletes. But not kayakers and Buzz members...NOOO. Why does the word "sponsored" get such a rise out of people?

Or maybe it's just the Buzz. No wonder very few professionals grace this site with their presence. They'd get blasted and labeled "sell outs" because they're sponsored.

Is it because this site is loaded with peeps that are just as rad and hardcore?

·
Registered
4,607 Posts
I don't think it's that. I think it has more to do with the pervasive culture associated with "professional" kayakers, think BDP and Sturgis pissing on the Stikine sign, among other examples I'm not going to dive into. Trashy, not worthy of enhanced respect, at least mine.

·
Cpt. No Scout
517 Posts
I don't think it's that. I think it has more to do with the pervasive culture associated with "professional" kayakers, think BDP and Sturgis pissing on the Stikine sign, among other examples I'm not going to dive into. Trashy, not worthy of enhanced respect, at least mine.
Edzackery, Floating rivers is a back to nature thing for alot of boaters. To see so many pros degrade nature, call it church, and act like aholes is just wrong to me. Plus I foot thier bill. I pay more for the products I buy so some pro can disrespect what I love. And its thier right to do so and my right to not pick them up hitching a shuttle or choose other products. Which I encourage all to do.

·
Registered
770 Posts
Sheesh....only the Buzz. Most, if not all, other sports celebrate and respect their professional, sponsored athletes. But not kayakers and Buzz members...NOOO. Why does the word "sponsored" get such a rise out of people?

Or maybe it's just the Buzz. No wonder very few professionals grace this site with their presence. They'd get blasted and labeled "sell outs" because they're sponsored.

Is it because this site is loaded with peeps that are just as rad and hardcore?
Did I hear sponsored, get the pitchforks! Let's nitpick the blog's title, because we CAN!

In all seriousness I enjoyed the write up, please keep producing material.

·
Registered
786 Posts
Hate "pros" if you want, but don't hate this "unsponsored" guy. He is running a website that is producing new kayaking related content. There aren't a lot of kayaking related websites that produce their own original content. In the course of producing content, this website occasionally interviews people related to kayaking. You may not like some of these people, but don't hold that against the messenger.

Would you hate ESPN for interviewing Michael Vick. No, that's their job. (ESPN is kind of a bad example because there are many other reasons to dislike them, but you get the point.)

·
Cpt. No Scout
517 Posts
Hate "pros" if you want, but don't hate this "unsponsored" guy. He is running a website that is producing new kayaking related content. There aren't a lot of kayaking related websites that produce their own original content. In the course of producing content, this website occasionally interviews people related to kayaking. You may not like some of these people, but don't hold that against the messenger.

Would you hate ESPN for interviewing Michael Vick. No, that's their job. (ESPN is kind of a bad example because there are many other reasons to dislike them, but you get the point.)
Well if it aint Brian Kirk the "I am training so I get to cut everyone off and snake rides on the millwave durring peek usage in riggins because I can get up the river left faster than you can get up the eddy that everyone else uses and I'm just beter than everyone else out here. Brian Kirk." Its been along time. Maybe even 8 years or so. My I one and only meeting with you. Thats how my friends and I remember you from that day. There was about 20 of us there and you took off in your red truck loaded with WS boats on top after some local dude called you out. Way to represent! When you left people cheered. Just saying.

·
Registered
1,077 Posts
Wrong guy dude.

Isn't BrianK a paddler from Fort Collins and NOT the Wave Sport team paddler?

You may have just trashed the wrong.

·
Registered
774 Posts
Well if it aint Brian Kirk the "I am training so I get to cut everyone off and snake rides on the millwave durring peek usage in riggins because I can get up the river left faster than you can get up the eddy that everyone else uses and I'm just beter than everyone else out here. Brian Kirk." Its been along time. Maybe even 8 years or so. My I one and only meeting with you. Thats how my friends and I remember you from that day. There was about 20 of us there and you took off in your red truck loaded with WS boats on top after some local dude called you out. Way to represent! When you left people cheered. Just saying.
Douche Bag, just saying. 8 years ago? Get over it. I can't imagine there would be anyone out there by the name of Brian with a last name starting with K.

·
Cpt. No Scout
517 Posts
Well, thats my bad then. a bit trigger happy I guess I am. Little egg on the face. Well, then just enjoy my Brian Kirk experience.

@ Nathan, well I guess I earned that today.

·
Registered
786 Posts
I am not bryan kirk - although it would be cool to get free kayaks. I pay for all my gear, much to the dismay of my wife.

Also no need to worry about me taking up to much time on a wave as it generally only takes about 10 seconds for me to windowshade and flush.

1 - 20 of 58 Posts