Mountain Buzz banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I am going to take delivery on my first raft sometime in August. I have been working closely with a really great outfitter and the advice and suggestions I have gotten have been awesome. I am really looking for other rafters/fisherman's advice on anything that I may want to add, or any useful accessories I may want to pick up.

So here's what I'm gonna be working with :

-2012 13ft Rocky Mountain Raft

-3-bay DRE San Juan Frame
-front and rear thigh bars w/ horns
-stripping basket
-front and rear swivel seats
-flip bracket for forward angler seat
-2:1 anchor system
-kickbar
-oar towers

-Accessories: 2 Cataract counter balanced oar shafts (9ft), 1 Carlisle EHD oar shaft, 3 Carlisle blades, 2 drop bags, Salamander 75' rescue throw rope, DRE 4" barrel pump, and an Engel 80qt cooler

Any opinions, advice, or comments are welcome. Like I said this will be my first raft, I have oar time but have never set up an outfit before. Also any advice on how to rig it up, slight modifications, or experience would be great!

Thanks

·
Registered
279 Posts
You have a good list. Couple of extras good dry bag for warm clothes just in case something happens ( weather flip etc....) a personal throw bag for if/ when you swim . learned on my last flip keep a throw bag 4 ******* and a 8' looped webbing( for anchor on a z drag set up)

·
Registered
279 Posts
I like what I have seen in cataract oars and blades, but don't really know much about oars. Seen cataracts bend a lot without breaking.

·
Registered
279 Posts
One throw bag for the boat and one on your person.
Just think cataracts are more durable, I have. Personally seen a cataract oar/ blade bend almost to90 degrees and spring back. Just my $0.02

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Cool, thanks for the tips/advice guys. I think I will upgrade the blades tomorrow, but just leave the carlisle on my spare.

·
Registered
3,344 Posts
Are you mostly doing day trips & fishing? If you see some overnight rafting trips in your future you'll need a drybox of some sort.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I will be using it mostly for day trips, but I will also plan many multi day fishing trips in it.

I was thinking dry bags would do the job and would mean less weight. Think that would work?

·
Registered
3,900 Posts
There are some things that work well in drybags, some things fit better in dry boxes.

It's hard to keep potato chips or eggs intact in a drybag.
It's also nice to put hard/rigid/odd-shaped things in a dry box--kitchen equipment, spare parts, tools, etc.

Check out the York boxes from NRS for a good "starter" drybox.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
thanks for the suggestion I will check it out... I was thinking of putting alot of fragile food items on a storage rack the hangs in my cooler. A dry box is definitely something I want though.

·
Registered
457 Posts
I never liked the way cataract blades fit in the cataracts shafts, they wobble a lot. Which seems weird. I like the sawyer blades or even the carlisles fit better. If your not doing heavy whitewater a rubbermaid tote in a kitchen drybag would work perfect for you instead of a drybox.

·
Registered
3 Posts
If you or your friends wear studded wading boots, some kind of mat on the floor of the raft might be a good idea. My raft has hard floors front and rear, but not for the rower. I took the welcome mat from my house and threw it in. First time my wife got in the boat, she said "I was wondering where the hell the welcome mat went." I have also seen people use the mats used in commercial kitchens.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
So what does everyone think the best blade is for me to pair with my cataract shafts? I dont need anything too crazy but I really dont want to be disappointed, and it sounds like I will with the Carlisles. I also dont think I would be a fan of a loose fit and the Cataract blades wobbling...

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I really like the Sawyer dynelite blades, but that price point is a bit more than I was looking to pay for blades...

My friend really loves his cataract blades, any other blades you guys know of that float?

·
Registered
109 Posts
Since you are using DRE for the frame I really suggest getting that 3 Bay with double side rails and diamond plating. Makes it much easier to get in and out of the boat which I do frequently when fly fishing (photo). Also useful for rocket box storage on long trips. Second a dry box in the front bay too.

Attachments

·
Registered
798 Posts
The pro-v's are excellent blades; tough, float, very soft and quiet going in and out of the water. if you spring for the dyne's, don't overlook the shoal cuts.

multi-days out of a 13'er rigged for fishing are going to be tight, tight as it is so you will be packing light anyway. dry box will be really nice when you can get one but in the meantime a cheap ass cooler, buckets with gamma lids, action packer, etc. will work fine.

another spare oar is also handy just for having a good spot to ship your oar on both sides. don't forget the long handled rubber net!

1 - 20 of 32 Posts