Mountain Buzz banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
no tengo
1,873 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Today 4 Corners Whitewater guides Dana Kopf and Brandon Godell made the first and second descent of the New No Name Rapid since the rockslide (after removing a riverwide tree).

There is a large pool now above what was the s-turn/no name rock - then it leads into a long chute and goes into a new s-turn but the opposite direction. It is much much steeper than it used to be but at these levels seems to boat a little easier. I call it 4+ but it is very likely to change almost every trip for the foreseeable future. At high water my guess is it will become a raging torrent of froth.

A few pics from Brandon here: Rockslide - a photoset on Flickr

·
Registered
1,018 Posts
First D. That means you get to name it. So what's No Name's new name gonna be?

Thanks for the photos. That's one huge rockslide!

·
no tengo
1,873 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
First D. That means you get to name it. So what's No Name's new name gonna be?
Technically its still in the same place - if it were in a new location I would call it Buck Fush or something but for now lets just call it New No Name.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Visited New No Name on Friday. I think we know now how Old No Name was formed? Same rock slide many years ago...
The rock dam at the top reminds me of Alan's pile (of Smelter Rapids past),
comprised of medium size rocks which will easily move in high water. As you can see from the pic's the debris pile on the right side of the river is impressive with some large boulders perched high on the pile.
In talking with the work crews from the railroad, I gathered they would like to remove the pile (without putting any more in the river), so that any future slides will not pile into the ravine they dug to clear the tracks.
It will be interesting to watch this rapid change over time.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts