Mountain Buzz banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone I got into kayaking a few years ago and now I am ready to try out a class 5 run. I am confident on class 4 and was wondering what a good first or more forgining run would be?

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I will be road tripping through oregon norcal and colorado/utah/arizona this summer

Sent from my SM-G900V using Mountain Buzz mobile app

·
Registered
1,706 Posts
Here in colorado we have some great class V.

I would look at Gore canyon for a nice river style class IV/V and a solid class V over 1600cfs. big water, big holes.

Bailey, N.F South platte for a nice creek run class IV/V and solid class IV+ V over 400 cfs

There are also other options, it will depend on when you are here in the state. Right now there are are a bunch of choices though, things have peaked and are on the way down.

what have you been eyeing here in CO?

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Here in colorado we have some great class V.

I would look at Gore canyon for a nice river style class IV/V and a solid class V over 1600cfs. big water, big holes.

Bailey, N.F South platte for a nice creek run class IV/V and solid class IV+ V over 400 cfs

There are also other options, it will depend on when you are here in the state. Right now there are are a bunch of choices though, things have peaked and are on the way down.

what have you been eyeing here in CO?
I've been looking at gore canyon but Ive head that its a pushy

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks Jb1rd
GC would be a dream trip if the wait list wern't so long my buds and I may buy out a commercial trip next year though:)

·
Registered
168 Posts
gtfowen- I think you're confused. In this context GC = Gore Canyon, I think you thought it meant Grand Canyon?

My personal opinion would be that you should start stepping up on your local runs, rather than going on a road trip with the intention of running a bunch of class V with people and on runs you don't know well. At least run some class IV first in each place you're visiting so you can can a feel for the character of the rivers in that area... OR V =/= CO V =/= CA V in my experience

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I mainly run the american river and a little kern, I thought about rainie falls on the rogue becaue it looks pretty clean.

·
Registered
12 Posts
If i may sound in. The Forks of the american in Cali and not running Rainy Falls on the Rouge has not prepared you for a Class V road trip. It has however prepared you for a wonderful kayaking adventure. Running a class V run not a single rapid out of character for the rest of the run is no joke. It is to be done systematically with a plan, with people who are solid and have the capability to solve real life threatening problems. enthusiasm can create over zealousness. Over zealousness can be dangerous. Have Fun

·
Registered
820 Posts
So, you started a thread about buying your first kayak on the same day you started a thread about stepping up to Class V.

This is like saying that you demoed a mountain bike and rode an intermediate trail. You now want bike suggestions for next year's Red Bull Rampage. It makes no sense.

I would be willing to bet that you are not solid on class IV. You probably ran some class III that rafters call class IV, and now you think that kayaking is easy. I would recommend buying a kayak and then learning to use it. This will take a few years. Then cautiously move into Class 4-5, with the goal of improving and paddling well- not of "running a Class 5."

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Hi
So, you started a thread about buying your first kayak on the same day you started a thread about stepping up to Class V.

This is like saying that you demoed a mountain bike and rode an intermediate trail. You now want bike suggestions for next year's Red Bull Rampage. It makes no sense.

I would be willing to bet that you are not solid on class IV. You probably ran some class III that rafters call class IV, and now you think that kayaking is easy. I would recommend buying a kayak and then learning to use it. This will take a few years. Then cautiously move into Class 4-5, with the goal of improving and paddling well- not of "running a Class 5."
True I really have only been paddling for 3 years and on 6 different rivers. I feel super solid on 3+ and regular solid on 4s(rarely flip & even more rare that I swim) I have learned that boating is different everywhere and I should gain more expience before attempting a more dangerous section of river. I cannot overestimate my ability to paddle safely. Maybe this summer I'll try out the numbers or another river to push my skill without being to overzealous.

To solve the question about competent class 4 and not owning a kayak. I do own one... An ocean one. Its when I come to a river that I need to borrow one. I have river kayaked 60 days of my life and oceaned 3x that much. I know it is like comparing apples and oranges but it translates really easy.

Thanks for the help , Owen

·
Registered
312 Posts
Hi

True I really have only been paddling for 3 years and on 6 different rivers. I feel super solid on 3+ and regular solid on 4s(rarely flip & even more rare that I swim) I have learned that boating is different everywhere and I should gain more expience before attempting a more dangerous section of river. I cannot overestimate my ability to paddle safely. Maybe this summer I'll try out the numbers or another river to push my skill without being to overzealous.

To solve the question about competent class 4 and not owning a kayak. I do own one... An ocean one. Its when I come to a river that I need to borrow one. I have river kayaked 60 days of my life and oceaned 3x that much. I know it is like comparing apples and oranges but it translates really easy.

Thanks for the help , Owen
That sounds a bit better, but one way to get ready for a bump up in difficulty is running your current ones while hitting all the ferry lines, eddies, and all the more challenging lines. There is a big difference between running a river down hill, and hitting all the lines.

If you've done that, you may be ready, though with Class 5, you'll want some swift water safety training too, if you haven't already.

And as far as boats go, if pushing your limits on difficult runs is your thing, forget the Jackson Fun, and look at a creek boat.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Thanks bystander. Ill be up in coloma in the next weekor two . Mabye I can find something round there☺

·
Registered
214 Posts
I'm wondering why you'd want a road trip to run Cl V if you're in Cali. I loved the rivers there - lots of choices for Cl IV and V. The lower Cherry Creek section - the one that ends at Lumsden falls - is a great Cl V run, and I think a reasonable step up for a very solid Cl IV boater if you hit it a med or low water. You'll want to be comfortable at high water (i.e. above 'medium', not necessarily flood) on e.g. Chamberlin Falls, the normal Tuolumne run, etc.

I agree with others that you're likely better off stepping up on your local rivers, where you'll have a feel for the rapids and can paddle with your regular crew.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I'm wondering why you'd want a road trip to run Cl V if you're in Cali. I loved the rivers there - lots of choices for Cl IV and V. The lower Cherry Creek section - the one that ends at Lumsden falls - is a great Cl V run, and I think a reasonable step up for a very solid Cl IV boater if you hit it a med or low water. You'll want to be comfortable at high water (i.e. above 'medium', not necessarily flood) on e.g. Chamberlin Falls, the normal Tuolumne run, etc.

I agree with others that you're likely better off stepping up on your local rivers, where you'll have a feel for the rapids and can paddle with your regular crew.
Im on a road trip with the family. Im only 16 so don't have too much choice. Luckily its a kayak/canoe trip!!

1 - 20 of 37 Posts