Mountain Buzz banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys so I want to buy my first river runner/creek boat. I've paddled in a play boat for the last 2 years and finally decided to make the investment. I live in Ottawa and mainly river run so I've been looking at boats in that style.

I'm interested potentially in the Mamba, Remix, and Karma. I'm having a little trouble figuring out the sizing for the Remix and Karma. I tried out a mamba 7.6 and it felt pretty good size wise. BUT for the remix I have no idea weather to go for the 59 or 69, and even harder to choose is the karma with the small and medium. I'm 5'5 and weigh 130-135lb. Should I go for the small boat somewhere in the top of the weight range, or for the medium boat at the very bottom or slightly under the weight range.

I read somewhere that the weight limit for the karma small goes up to 175. but on the jk website it says 155, not sure what to think.

Any comments are welcome.

·
Registered
152 Posts
At your size I would definitely go for the smalls on any of those for river running or even creeking. They all have plenty of volume. Or try both sizes and go with whatever feels good. Karma is more of a creeker than the other two, Hero is probably a more comparable river runner. I love my Mamba for both river running and creeking.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
So I tried out the karma small today and it's a very small boat, I was surprised it it is definitely made for women and youth/kid paddlers. The medium was a little large for me. So sadly I ruled out the karma.

Tried out the mamba 7.6 again, and it's the perfect fit, I think for anyone from 120-160 pounds the 7.6 must be pretty great.

Now I just need to find a store that has a remix 59 and a remix 69. Hopefully I don't fall into the middle of both again like with the karma, if I do I will for sure get the mamba.

Sent from my iPhone using Mountain Buzz

·
Registered
152 Posts
If you like Jacksons, the Hero is a great boat for river running, creeking and learning, and has a much better weight range (115-190 pounds) for you. I paddled a Hero for a week-long trip--at 180 lbs and 6' and I fit fine and had a lot of fun, although it was definitely a bit too small for me. I have friends your size who love it. But then again, I sold the Hero for a Mamba (8.1) and its definitely my favorite.

·
Registered
264 Posts
If you are just going to be river running (not much creeking) I would think about the Jackson Zen. Its super fast, super stable, and super easy to roll. I think you would fit into the Zen 65.

·
Registered
501 Posts
buy the Karma

So I tried out the karma small today and it's a very small boat, I was surprised it it is definitely made for women and youth/kid paddlers. The medium was a little large for me. So sadly I ruled out the karma.
No offense, but the Karma is the best boat ever and the ideal size for you. I am 5'5" and 155 lbs and the Karma S is big enough. Although, I customized the outfitting. Now the boat fits perfectly. The main thing is that the Karma is the superior performance boat. I am unsponsored and have kayaked for 34 years, owning and paddling many dozens of boats. Trust me, the Karma S would be ideal for your size and the best creek, river runner boat, hands down.

I have a review that 4 Corners River Sports (www.riversports.com) will soon be posting on their Blog. It should help convince you. I will add some outfitting pics to this thread for you later. Until then, don't deny yourself the best boat, the Karma S. It should be your only consideration.

Cheers!
Ken

1 - 7 of 7 Posts