Mountain Buzz banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
375 Posts
Really hope this wasn’t from a river user. I believe that area in Oregon has been under fire restrictions for several weeks now. Sounds like it started in the river bottom.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Yup. The fine search and rescue folks found us this morning, day two of our trip, before we hit the confluence with the GR and pulled us out via truck on the rail line. They had three more parties ahead of us. By the time we left Minam today they had gotten to 2 of the 3 other parties. We spoke to another party back at Minam who had actually paddled through the fire. Don’t know if they’re on the buzz but they had some insane photos. Some pinholes in their boats from the falling embers. Fire on te banks of both sides of the river. They said they saw the smoke plume start from nothing yesterday afternoon down in the canyon. Hope it wasn’t a campfire but there were clear skies all day Thursday…..

·
Registered
Aire 146DD
1 Posts
Yup. The fine search and rescue folks found us this morning, day two of our trip, before we hit the confluence with the GR and pulled us out via truck on the rail line. They had three more parties ahead of us. By the time we left Minam today they had gotten to 2 of the 3 other parties. We spoke to another party back at Minam who had actually paddled through the fire. Don’t know if they’re on the buzz but they had some insane photos. Some pinholes in their boats from the falling embers. Fire on te banks of both sides of the river. They said they saw the smoke plume start from nothing yesterday afternoon down in the canyon. Hope it wasn’t a campfire but there were clear skies all day Thursday…..
Yikes!!!

·
Registered
916 Posts
By the time we left Minam today they had gotten to 2 of the 3 other parties.
We were the two of the other parties. Two of our boats went ahead to camp while one of our boats lagged behind struggling in the wind and I stayed with them. Wallowa County Search and Rescue walked into our camp near Sheep Creek Friday morning to tell us about the situation, then continued down the river to find a single boat party that had also launched Thursday. They did not find them but they apparently rowed through the fire and were off the river by Saturday morning. We walked out to Rondowa and were given a ride by the railroad maintenance crew up to Minam. I don't know if people can see this but here is a link to my daughters FB post.

·
Registered
916 Posts
There are very few camps left below Bear Creek. I had pictures but have misplaced my camera.

·
Registered
916 Posts
Few left as in scorched earth or dangerous burned out trees?
Yes, most camps below Bear Creek were severely burnt by a hot fire. My buddy and his family did their traditional Mother's Day trip this year and told me the camps have greened up a bit, but there is lots of danger trees.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts