Mountain Buzz banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just took the time to build some marine plywood side rails for my double rail frame. Due to the cost of the material I was really careful when making them, measure twice cut once type of thing. I finished my router work last night and I am ready to seal them. I typically do a Sand-seal and then 3 or more good coats of Spar-seal and I have had good results...but it can always be better. I decided to hold off on that and through something out on the buzz to see if anyone has a better way of coating/sealing/finishing (what ever you want to call it) wood decking?

·
Registered
145 Posts
I like to use multiple coats of linseed oil. Start off with a very thin coat and gradually get a little thicker. When it's time to refinish them just clean them and coat them again. No sanding.

Sent from my iPhone using Mountain Buzz

·
Registered
415 Posts
You might do a search. This was just covered a few weeks ago. I used a truck bed liner (Tan) and love it but expensive for the good two part stuff. Cheap(er) alternative that I like is Australian timber oil. Good stuff. I build wooden boats and it holds up better than spar varnish

·
Registered
2,207 Posts
I had a wood driftboat for a bunch of years and got really tired of the maintanence of Spar - and paint for that matter. So my most recent raft decking I used a deck restoration "paint" - didn't hold up well and I wouldn't do it again. Over time I've come to the conclusion that it all takes maintenance and I like the look of "varnish", so that's what I will do next. Might give the Ausi timber oil a go, I've been hearing more about it lately...

Whatever you do, just keep up with it and repair it as soon as it needs it. Don't wait or you'll have to refinish vs repair.

·
Renaissance Redneck
1,265 Posts
Mine are just regular old half inch AC and I recoat with Spar Varnish about every 3 years.
But I sort of dig the distressed look so I barely sand them first.

·
Registered
41 Posts
i know someone who used that Behr Deck Over stuff, worked really well and you can choose the size of grit in the paint depending on whether you want lots of grip for walking or more smooth to the touch.

·
Registered
193 Posts
I really like truck bed liner. It seals the wood. It holds the paint. It is grippy enough that you'll never slip. I see Wal-Mart now carries a version of it for $37 for a gallon.

·
Registered
206 Posts
Boat Soup-(1:1:1) Linseed Oil:Turpentine:Spar Varnish and couple oz Jap Drier to speed up drying time. This is what I use on my wooden drift boats and plywood bench seat on raft.

·
Registered
171 Posts
What about woody oars? I typically use spar for the oars but nothing for the actual handles. Someone told me linseed for the handles. Does that work? My spares are starting to look funky on their handles.

Thanks.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts