Mountain Buzz banner
1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I finally pulled the trigger on my first raft. Got a Hyside Max 12 in orange. I think I'll call her the Tangerine Dream. I'm building my raft frame and decks on the cheap. I have not bought oars yet. I'm not sure what size to buy and would appreciate any suggestions. I'm still waiting for a lot of things that I've ordered and I'll post more pics as things arrive. I'm finishing up the sanding of the decks and I'll start finishing them soon. Probably the first place I'll put her in is up in Wyoming on the Grey Reef area of the North Platte. Hopefully in the next month.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Looks like you used Frontier Play T-clamps to build your frame. I just did the same and worked great. Also, love the looks of your decking. Can I ask the function of the holes? Lash points access?

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Looks like you used Frontier Play T-clamps to build your frame. I just did the same and worked great. Also, love the looks of your decking. Can I ask the function of the holes? Lash points access?
Yes, lashing things down. I've got some boxes ordered that once I get I will post some pics of how I imagine the layout to be. But tents or folding chairs as well.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
If you own a router, get a rounded bit and run it around all holes and edges of that decking before you put any sealant on. Your shins and raft straps will thank you.
Yes, I've been told recently that every man should have a router. I might get one soon. I just filed and sanded the inside of the holes and the edges by hand as best I could. And it's imperfect for sure. If I get a router I'll do the edges and holes and refinish.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Actually the middle is the seat and the holes are to lash it down to the crossbars. Underneath that seat I'll hand a drop bag and there will be a cushion on top of it. The side rail holes are for lashing down boxes and various things. Check back and I'll post pics once I get the boxes, drop bag and cushion in.

·
Registered
2,052 Posts
That looks like a sweet boat that will provide many years of adventure and enjoyment. Hysides are great boats and a nice adjustable frame is a great way to start.

I would consider cross drilling the fittings and putting a bolt through them and the cross pieces. Cheap insurance for it not being pulled apart at an inopportune time(can you tell I speak from experience?). Just the bottom of the tee. It may never happen...but its nice to not worry about it.

Otherwise seems like a sweet setup and I'm sure will be a blast to row.

·
Registered
237 Posts
That is sweet. I dig the color.

I twice ran a 12' raft through the Grand Canyon, you know, if you are having anxiety about being too small for some rivers. I capsized once, which isn't bad for over 500 miles of bigwater, and it was totally my fault (fiddling with a video camera straight into a munchie hole). That said, it was a hard deck bucket boat which is more stable than a bailer but with some sandbag ballast, I'd run a boat like yours in bigwater.

My new boat will be here this week! Super excited. I've never run a new boat before. Almost bought a Hyside but went Maravia instead. Enjoy your maiden run!

·
Registered
237 Posts
Basalt Rapid? I've seen many a people caught unawares of that one.
I love Basalt. It might be my favorite rapid in GC. So simple and perfect... just a single thunderous boat-eating ledge hole. Magnificent. I would be honored to flip in Basalt. Unfortunately, my self preservation instincts kick in and I chicken out. Although one in our party flipped a 16' Avon in Basalt. It was a yardsale. I didn't see it but I'm guessing the boat made a few rounds. 24k cfs.

Nope, I flipped in the first hole in the first rapid. Good ole Badger. Lost all my beverages, my seat rest and one well-used American flag. Heck of way to start a trip. I wasn't rigged to flip because we were only going a few miles to camp. Famous last words.

·
Registered
2,052 Posts
I love Basalt. It might be my favorite rapid in GC. So simple and perfect... just a single thunderous boat-eating ledge hole. Magnificent. I would be honored to flip in Basalt. Unfortunately, my self preservation instincts kick in and I chicken out. Although one in our party flipped a 16' Avon in Basalt. It was a yardsale. I didn't see it but I'm guessing the boat made a few rounds. 24k cfs.

Nope, I flipped in the first hole in the first rapid. Good ole Badger. Lost all my beverages, my seat rest and one well-used American flag. Heck of way to start a trip. I wasn't rigged to flip because we were only going a few miles to camp. Famous last words.
Always surprising how many flips happen in Badger....at least its a nice run out and recovery. You weren't on a November 18th trip with some Alaskan's and "noisy" doctors end of last year were you?

I agree 12 foot boats do fine down there. My buddy Hunter has a 12' Hyside just like this one and he did great on a early June MFS turning the corner onto a high water Main Salmon trip. I know he took it down the Grand last October too.

·
Registered
237 Posts
Always surprising how many flips happen in Badger....at least its a nice run out and recovery. You weren't on a November 18th trip with some Alaskan's and "noisy" doctors end of last year were you?
We did have some Alaskans on a Nov trip but it was 2015. This flip was Nov 5 2011, and left me 28 days without a seat rest on a stern frame. We had a pretty wonky crew including a group of volunteer paddle guides out of Sandy Oregon. I guess they thought I would take care of myself and flip it back over midriver like a paddle raft. Evidently they missed the part where we loaded the boat with 500 pounds of food. They also assumed I was wearing a drysuit. I was not. Despite repeated calls for help, it was 12 minutes before I was pulled from the river, hypothermic, and nobody laid hold of the boat until it ran aground. It was an odd experience.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
That looks like a sweet boat that will provide many years of adventure and enjoyment. Hysides are great boats and a nice adjustable frame is a great way to start.

I would consider cross drilling the fittings and putting a bolt through them and the cross pieces. Cheap insurance for it not being pulled apart at an inopportune time(can you tell I speak from experience?). Just the bottom of the tee. It may never happen...but its nice to not worry about it.

Otherwise seems like a sweet setup and I'm sure will be a blast to row.
Excellent tip. Thank you. They claim the slip limit on the fittings is a bit over 2000lbs at the right torque. I'm not sure if that's enough. I'll definitely drill those out. Thanks.

·
Registered
2,052 Posts
Excellent tip. Thank you. They claim the slip limit on the fittings is a bit over 2000lbs at the right torque. I'm not sure if that's enough. I'll definitely drill those out. Thanks.
Just some clarification... leave the threaded hole for the set screws alone...they'll still be good to have too. Here is a picture for clarity...

Not the same fittings...but you get the idea. Basically...do you frame up and tighten the set screws everywhere to lock it in...and then drill all the way through the fitting and pipe/tube...and then find a bolt that works. Perhaps make a jig for the holes so you do them all the same.

The larger set screws on your fittings is nice and should hold better...but they hog down into the tube, can dimple it....and that loosens them. I made a trailer frame with fittings for my drybox last year and didn't do the cross drill thing...and had it come apart day 3 or 4 of the trip despite torquing it well before the trip.

·
Registered
768 Posts
+1 on drilling and bolting the fittings, use a drill press to keep it lined up. I got tired of the screw type fittings from 2 different manufacturers slipping on a stern frame that I finally bought some of the NRS bolted fittings. They don't come pre-drilled when bought individually so I had to drill holes in them. Fantastic upgrade though I wish I had of though of simply drilling the existing ones I had - duh!

Smaller rafts with frames are a blast on the Cache La Poudre river near Fort Collins and you can run several of the sections down to a foot or less, just go light.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts