Mountain Buzz banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking for steps to take care of fiberglass peeling on 2 cataract oars. Blades are fine.
Thanks,

·
Registered
2,208 Posts
peeling like in sheets or just shedding? Assuming they're just shedding (really common), sand and coat with high quality spar varnish. You will have to do this every year or two now in my experience. Lots of thin coats.

·
Registered
2,208 Posts
that's what I'd do. You'd want to be sure and get any loose epoxy off, but I've never really seen it peal. It just seems to disappear so it's usually a light sand then one coat, then another taking care to get the glass fibers off then a few more for longevity's sake..

·
Registered
2,208 Posts
my pleasure!

Look, no arguments! Wow, gonna buy a lottery ticket tonight!

·
Registered
76 Posts
Fiberglass resin

When mine are shedding, I give them a light sand and brush on a heavy coat of fiberglass resin. available at the home depot.

·
Registered
1,385 Posts
Minwax Helmsman in a green spray can- high gloss. Light sanding in between coats. 3 ought to do it.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Mountain Buzz mobile app

·
Registered
2,208 Posts
Interesting... Gremlin I wish you would have gotten to the search function comment after all as this fine gentleman felt the need to post this common question, not once but twice...

·
Registered
217 Posts
Mine were beyond just a quick sanding and varnish recoat when I got them, So I sanded them real well and repainted them. I used John Deere yellow and they ended up looking like Carlisle shafts but they're holding up well.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts