Mountain Buzz banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey Boaters,

FIBArk wants your input! We are considering changing the Pine Creek Boater X race from a 4 person boater cross to a time trial. We'd love your feedback on how to make this a better race.

The Pine Creek Boater X is the most expensive race of FIBArk. Each year (for the last 5 years) the competitor numbers have dropped. We would love to keep this event alive, but we need your help to make it a viable event.

Thanks for your help,
FIBArk Mark
www.fibark.net

·
GoBro
1,493 Posts
As a spectator I would not go to see people run 1 at a time down that rapid. I would also pay a modest fee <$5 to go towards a bigger purse to draw a bigger field.

·
gOtTaGokAyAkn'
274 Posts
The # of boaters would increase greatly if the race was held during the weekend. Why has the boater-X been held on weekday prior to the influx of the weekend warriors...A prize purse for the boater-x on Saturday would be more logical...

·
Registered
820 Posts
Move it to the weekend! This is the event that everyone wants to watch. You would probably get more competitors too. There are at least a few weekend warriors that would give it a go.

·
Registered
861 Posts
Hey Mark,
I personally think that the race format is fine. When numerous pro paddlers tell me year after year that this is the coolest and stoutest race out there, I think that that says it all. If it just went to time trials I think it would lose its spectator appeal, and would probably ruin what this race has stood for since its inception.

It sounds like this really isn't an issue about the format, but a problem with funding the race. Every year it seems that FIBArk is hoping that enough competitors will show up to offset the cost of the race. It will probably never happen this way. And I think that this is the wrong way to look at finding ways to offset the costs of the race. If you lower the bar and make the race only a time trial race you might gain 5 to 10 more competitors, but in doing so you will ruin the race, and you still run the risk of not getting enough competitors to enter.

My advice would be to find a sponsor that is willing to front more cash, instead of the typical advertising trade that happens every year. I know that the kayaking industry is cash poor, so I understand that this solution will also be a bit more difficult... but I would try this idea first, rather than altering the race format. Getting a bigger cash sponsorship for this event might also allow you to drop the entry fee a bit more and entice more paddlers to race. The kayakers that have big enough balls to race generally are the ones who don't want to spend (or simply can't spend) $50 ($60?) to enter this race.

As others have noted a weekend start time could help as well.

If the race format does change I will personally be quite sad, and severely disappointed. Please do take note that I understand the difficulty FIBArk has had in keeping this race alive and that all of you wonderful FIBArk folks have done an AMAZING job in keeping this race going since Hixon and I first started it.

Feel free to contact me directly (970-485-1924) if you want to talk more about this. I have a few more ideas bouncing around in my head.

Thanks,
Mark

·
Registered
774 Posts
It will be the end of the event if it goes to time trials. Boater x is what makes the event appealing. If it is possible to move it to a weekend you can get more Colorado boaters to show up and race, but most can't make a Thursday event.

·
Registered
5,507 Posts
Best race hands down is narrows boatercross.. huge spectator appeal, free entry, garanteed carnage, a long race, plus semis, loser bracket, and finals, lots of Action! For free. Straight up soulful Kayaking. You may get boofed on you may do the boofing.. I'm not paying to drive and have to pay to enter a race which doesn't even compare to gore race.. need stoutr coarse.

·
Registered
648 Posts
Mark, check your messages on here and call me. Mike

·
Registered
432 Posts
Another vote for the weekend or at least Friday. And keep it Boater X. Time trail would be super lame.

If Bank competes then you should be able to charge all the ladies that will come to watch.

·
Registered
1,471 Posts
The event dies if it goes to time trials because the coarse isn't interesting, the boatercross is. There are 10 better time trial events in Colorado already. It should definitely be on a weekend. $60 is nuts - that might be the most expensive entry in Colorado. There has to be a better way to fund it or reduce overhead.
Joe

·
Registered
294 Posts
I agree that entry needs to be cheaper, and it needs to be on the weekend. Entries would increase and there would be more spectators= win, win!

·
Registered
20 Posts
As stated before- Move it to Saturday

Perhaps a spectator bus or two? leaving downtown Salida an hour before, $ 10 bucks gets you a DD to and from the event and a riverside drink (have a New Belgium beer tent up there if permits, officials, etc ..uh..permit it). I would pay 10 bucks for a ride to watch and for a beer to drink there.

Use that $$$ to offset the entry fee.

·
doesn't need a fake name
481 Posts
While a weekend might draw more weekend warriors, keep in mind that a lot of the pros that race are also trying to compete in the freestyle, and the closer the race is to the freestyle, the more likely they are to just skip the race in order to get more practice or conserve energy.

Also it was expensive. We should all get tons of prizes and not have to pay any entry fees. Free candy for everyone!

·
Registered
81 Posts
I know towns like Salida are full of fund raisers and a certain amount of fatigue sets in, but have you thought of something like that? How much does it cost to put the event on?

·
Registered
135 Posts
you know, BV has a better playwave than salida anyhow. why don't we just move FIBArk to BV,, then race could be sat, pros could easily hit piney and still play; and still hit lake &/or clear ck.

·
Registered
1,080 Posts
More $$$$

Weekend for sure.

Take some of the cash purse away from the Freestyle Event and move it over to the Boater Cross. The Pro's are going to do the Freestyle anyway (Just for the exposure alone.) and the money could be better used.

Even on Class V the Boater Cross is still easier for the average guy/ gal to compete with the Pro's. It's moving water and anything can happen.

·
Registered
1,200 Posts
It will have to stay the same if you want to keep it what it is - the best kayak race in colorado..

Somethin to think about is that saliva does not want to give up any of the weekend crowd to the upper valley on the weekend so it will have to stay on a thurs/fri as not to compete with the other events at FIBARK.....

Heats of 4-5 work best for the spectators and well maybe not best for the athletes but it is a helluva a show!

Agreed that if you change the format to timed it will die.. I wont even go up there and watch timed heats..

So my vote is to stick with the way it is now and as marco said find a sponsor so that it is not $60 to enter...

Now since it is the best race in colorado time to talk some smack :).. Or to put in another way for the few of you who seem think you got what it takes to excel in this race.... Well fair to say most boaters have no idea what it takes - even make the finals..

While you boys may do fine in the low water pooooder grind fest it would be best if you boys stay home for the piney race and let the big boys handle it... In fact for our friend from wyo - I got a brand new $100 and will pay your entry if you can even make finals... Yep and I know my $ is safe....

All kiddin aside it is a great race - keep it how it is and while moving it to the weekend would make the race better I doubt it will work for fibark as a whole.. One rule change that I feel would help make the race better is to limit the paddle size to 200 cm. A 212 stick will make as big of a difference in this race as a green boat will....

1 - 20 of 38 Posts