Mountain Buzz banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
417 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
On pushy water that is a breeze to ferry in when in my MAX, I find it hard to control the ferry angle in my Nomad. I am inferring this is due to the much shorter waterline and increased rocker of the Nomad.

Apart from the advice of entering at the proper angle with relation to current speed, etc, are there any other tips that Nomad users can give me to overcome this problem?
Thanks a bunch in advance.

·
GoBro
1,493 Posts
You are probably too far back seat either because of body position (most likely) or seat position. In your max when you are back seat you can stern pivot and adjust the angle but the large volume in the Nomad won't let that happen. A rudder on the upstream side can work wonders but also risks flips. Play with it on easy water to get a good feel of what you can get away with.

·
GoBro
1,493 Posts
Also displacement hulls are pigs for ferry's because even when they do plane they don't do it very nicely.

·
Registered
2,114 Posts
Not really a Nomad problem, just general creekboat issue. I would say as a general rule thumb use a much less aggressive (i.e. more parallel with the current) ferry angle.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Play around with seat position. I've found that some creek boats are best a bit forward, some a bit back, most are best in the middle.

·
Registered
298 Posts
I will agree with KSC, and being a proud nomad 8.1 owner , I will add that the nomad doesn't carve well- you have to be far on edge if you want to maneuver quickly. but what it lacks in carving , it makes up in the fact that its so forgiving in violent water. my recommendation for paddling a nomad is always the same- swing her ass around, get pointed in the right direction- paddle hard and freakin BOMB thru it. works great everytime.

·
Registered
56 Posts
great knowledge in above posts

listen to what these guys are sayin. seat position can be a game changer. also sit up straight and take vertical strokes. lean forward when your catching the eddy.

·
Registered
648 Posts
USE A STERN DRAW!

Its called a stern draw, learn it and use it...

Like he said, learn to use it.....

Don't they teach paddle strokes anymore?

Not giving you crap, well I am - but I mean it nicely... Talk to a slalom boater, they can explain it nicely.

·
Registered
843 Posts
Like he said, learn to use it.....

Don't they teach paddle strokes anymore?

Not giving you crap, well I am - but I mean it nicely... Talk to a slalom boater, they can explain it nicely.
Shit man I've been paddlin for years. Never knew people had all these wacky terms for paddle strokes. With that said, the Nomad is probably the most predictable creek boat you can have. Handles big water well. Hit pine creek and numbers this weekend and I really love the way it drives and holds a line. Super easy to roll. If your nose is getting blown off line while ferrying, your angle is probably too flat. You can use a "stern draw" to quickly re-establish a proper angle. Just keep paddlin and you will figure it out.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts