Mountain Buzz banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
526 Posts
I've been using one off and on for quite a few years now. It is a fantastic device, just replace the filter when the outflow slows down.

I have used it in clear running rivers out west, and back east with out any issues.

·
Registered
1,018 Posts
After having an epic and running out of water once, I never paddle without one on anything but roadside runs. You never know when you are going to have to hike out or spend the night. They are indispencable for wilderness runs in my opinion.

·
Registered
1,523 Posts
A few thoughts on water treatment:

Filters can be very sensitive to below freezing temps. Some filters will fail after freezing. Most boaters wouldn't care, but i've heard deepsouth boofs peguins.

Iodine tablets are an attractive alternative for emergency use and really easy to carry. If you can handle a warm PBR, idodine water ain't much worse. Iodine is less effective at cold temps and requires either a higher dose or longer contact time, read the instructions.

Finally, there are some clear water creeks in Colorado that have high heavy metals and other toxins. As far as I know, only activated carbon filters help with heavy metals.

·
Registered
169 Posts
I always forget to fill my water bottle because I'm an airhead, but I always have my Katadyn bottle with me, and have used it all season on just about every river/creek I've been in. Sometimes clear, sometimes muddy, but always refreshing. I haven't been sick yet, so I'd say it's working well.

P. S. Dan...despite all of Andrews begging, I have restrained from putting a certain picture up on mountainbuzz.

·
I'm right 50% of the time
899 Posts
I have to say that these bottles kick thirsts butt. I am on my second version of the filter bottle. I got the smaller of the 2 Katadyn models. IMO ... get the larger one, as the filter displaces about 1/3 the volume in the smaller bottle. If the water I am about to scoop is total S&%t, iodine tablets can be used to pretreat the water. The filter does a great job of removing that tablet taste. This bottle has followed me all over the world. It's great for traveling in other countries and for a Sunday hike w/ the wife and kid. As stated, I would not use this for the lower Animas, Uncompadre or any other river that had mass mine tailing piles near it.

·
Registered
156 Posts
mine allowed me to stay hydrated on a 9 hour assult on NSV without having to carry a few gallons on every wood/I-wasn't-up-to-it walk of which there were plenty

Also key for self support

no giardia yet

·
Registered
3,107 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Used the new bottle filter on the big south yesterday. It rocked. Probably filled it up 4 times and never had to worry about running out of water. Great buy!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts