Mountain Buzz banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I’m looking to make a donation to give back after all The River has given me and wondered what your favorite nonprofit is and why? I live on the Western Slope of Colorado and would like to make an impact in the West. I’m thinking along the lines of nonprofits like American Whitewater, American Rivers, Colorado Canyons Association, Friends of the Yampa, but open to anything.

·
Registered
417 Posts
Idaho Conservation League has been a key player in getting more Wild and Scenic Rivers and Wilderness. IMO they are the most effective conservation organization out there. They get a lot of things done.

·
Registered
34 Posts
A few thoughts from a fellow Western Sloper...
  • American Whitewater - amazing work, proven results, and staple organization for all paddlers
  • Colorado Canyons Association - they are doing some excellent work with youth and are right in our backyard (i.e., Ruby Horsethief + Gunnison River)
  • Dolores River Boating Advocates - a small but mighty organization making progress on the Dolores - education, stewardship, conservation, etc.
  • Friends of the Yampa - a great organization advocating for an incredible river system
  • First Descents - powerful mission and excellent organization that supports those who are adversely impacted by cancer and are seeking adventure
  • Returning Rapids Project - a small group from Moab is doing some great work on identifying and monitoring the "new" rapids that are surfacing in the runout of Cataract Canyon / Lake Powell. Note - I believe their 501c3 status is nested under the Glen Canyon Institute
  • Adventure Scientists - a cool program that crowdsources data from paddlers in the field to better understand wild and scenic rivers.
  • River Radius Podcast - not a nonprofit but a rad podcast that is digging into many relevant topics for boaters in the SW.

Hope this helps!

·
Super Moderator
4,598 Posts
American Whitewater
Colorado Whitewater

for reasons stated above.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
A few thoughts from a fellow Western Sloper...
  • American Whitewater - amazing work, proven results, and staple organization for all paddlers
  • Colorado Canyons Association - they are doing some excellent work with youth and are right in our backyard (i.e., Ruby Horsethief + Gunnison River)
  • Dolores River Boating Advocates - a small but mighty organization making progress on the Dolores - education, stewardship, conservation, etc.
  • Friends of the Yampa - a great organization advocating for an incredible river system
  • First Descents - powerful mission and excellent organization that supports those who are adversely impacted by cancer and are seeking adventure
  • Returning Rapids Project - a small group from Moab is doing some great work on identifying and monitoring the "new" rapids that are surfacing in the runout of Cataract Canyon / Lake Powell. Note - I believe their 501c3 status is nested under the Glen Canyon Institute
  • Adventure Scientists - a cool program that crowdsources data from paddlers in the field to better understand wild and scenic rivers.
  • River Radius Podcast - not a nonprofit but a rad podcast that is digging into many relevant topics for boaters in the SW.

Hope this helps!
Very helpful!

·
Premium Member
5,050 Posts
Grand Canyon River Guides Grand Canyon River Guides does a lot of good things, started back in the day by Brad Dimock cause life long guides had no rescue net, or retirement plans,

Colorado whitewater puts on rescue clinics and such, a good solid long time advocacy org.

I might have recommended AW in the past, but in the past 10 years it's my opinion that they have fallen out of touch with the actual boaters, and become a figurehead. Yes, they still do good things, but they don't need my money these days.

Lastly, I'd ask you to consider donating to a volunteer fire department, In Colorado, 50% of firefighters are volunteer, and departments struggle with providing items needed to their personnel. Of the active firefighting personnel in Colorado, 34% were career firefighters, 53% were volunteer firefighters, and 12% were paid per call firefighters. Any one could put a donation to good use. Being a volunteer firefighter and volunteer EMS, I sorta have a stake in it...

·
Registered
36 Posts
I've worked for one of; and have personal relationships at six of these non profits. They're all incredible. Hold a gun to my head and make me call favorites? I think Glen Canyon Institute has the most ground to gain in the next five years.

·
Premium Member
57 Posts
Grand Canyon River Guides Grand Canyon River Guides does a lot of good things, started back in the day by Brad Dimock cause life long guides had no rescue net, or retirement plans,

Colorado whitewater puts on rescue clinics and such, a good solid long time advocacy org.

I might have recommended AW in the past, but in the past 10 years it's my opinion that they have fallen out of touch with the actual boaters, and become a figurehead. Yes, they still do good things, but they don't need my money these days.

Lastly, I'd ask you to consider donating to a volunteer fire department, In Colorado, 50% of firefighters are volunteer, and departments struggle with providing items needed to their personnel. Of the active firefighting personnel in Colorado, 34% were career firefighters, 53% were volunteer firefighters, and 12% were paid per call firefighters. Any one could put a donation to good use. Being a volunteer firefighter and volunteer EMS, I sorta have a stake in it...

This is a fantastic idea.

·
Premium Member
5,050 Posts
Thank you sir.

We appreciate your support, probably more than you know when you need us and things could be better. We're there, doing what we can. Some gung-ho guys will say putting our ass on the line to save your ass, others will say risking ours to save yours. But I think everybody would agree, at least in the service, it's what we do. Put the wet stuff on the red stuff, protect Life property and yourselves.... It's what anybody that can, should do IMHo, we just got trained and certified. We have the equipment, training and supplies to do it better, or at least lend a hand, if you think you need us, call us we will come. 911 is your friend..

If you have any interest whatsoever in a career as a firefighter, being a volunteer firefighter is being a person who does the same job, for no pay. It's a stepping stone to a lifelong career. Like any career it's got except size and downsides but if you even believe you might be interested in it check it out.. any fire station you drive up to will tell you anything you want to know, talk to the guys

Off my soapbox, have a good night all. Apologies for rambling on, and hijacking the thread. We can all go back to our normally scheduled programming.
😊

1 - 20 of 25 Posts