Mountain Buzz banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just replied to the Link for Cheap Scepter Jugs post. It got me thinking about some of the best gear deals that I have found. So I thought I would start a thread about it.

Here is my favorite.

https://www.buylci.com/water-can-5-gallon.html

They are made and sold by LC Industries. LCI is a non-profit and are the largest employer of blind folks in the US. They are identical to Scepter. You can get two of them for $48 and free shipping.

·
Registered
1,901 Posts
I have purchased these containers from LC Industries and they have worked just as well as other Scepter containers purchased for a lot more money.

·
My name isn't Will
223 Posts
If LCI started making the spout/nozzle for the can, that would be a real win. If they started making the 2.5 gallon can, I would buy two of THEM.

·
My name isn't Will
223 Posts

I really don't like those kind of spouts. That jug also has the snap-shut vent that I don't like. It actually just looks like one of the "cheap" water jugs. The opening isn't as big.

The faucet that I got from NRS (or maybe REI) attaches to the pour hole of the large opening on the beefy water jugs. You can then just leave the jug on its side. Flip the lever, and water pours. It helps to open the vent for larger volumes; speeds up the flow quite a bit. Then when you break camp, you can sanitize or at least rinse the outside of the spout and secure it in a clean spot so you aren't putting the outside of the spout INSIDE of the drinking water. That's possible contamination!

·
Registered
1,227 Posts
I really don't like those kind of spouts. That jug also has the snap-shut vent that I don't like. It actually just looks like one of the "cheap" water jugs. The opening isn't as big.

The faucet that I got from NRS (or maybe REI) attaches to the pour hole of the large opening on the beefy water jugs. You can then just leave the jug on its side. Flip the lever, and water pours. It helps to open the vent for larger volumes; speeds up the flow quite a bit. Then when you break camp, you can sanitize or at least rinse the outside of the spout and secure it in a clean spot so you aren't putting the outside of the spout INSIDE of the drinking water. That's possible contamination!
Better options below?

https://lexingtoncontainercompanysonlinestore.mybigcommerce.com/water-can-pour-cap-thread-adapter-for-scepter-militery-water-cans/

https://lexingtoncontainercompanysonlinestore.mybigcommerce.com/water-can-dispensing-nozzle-for-use-with-scepter-water-cans/
$15

RMR, Hyside, NRS, Sawyer, K2 coolers, Whitewater Worthy Trailers, Frames and soft goods
465 Posts
We use a sailboat Galley hand pump and it’s mounted to a separate cap. It’s works great and can be used on the boat during the day if needed.

Big surprise they aren’t cheap.

·
Registered
290 Posts
If LCI started making the spout/nozzle for the can, that would be a real win. If they started making the 2.5 gallon can, I would buy two of THEM.

Not cheap but the best price I have found for the 2.5 gallon.
https://lexingtoncontainercompanysonlinestore.mybigcommerce.com/scepter-military-water-can-10l-tan/

I use a nozzle called a Water Bandit works fine slips on the spout of the Septer Cans.

https://www.campingworld.com/water-bandit-3-14-102162.html?gclid=CjwKCAjw5Ij2BRBdEiwA0Frc9ZV4wosXGAWRj514Mj7amu9F9x42Gl9-2rt2qLpTwUbJX4O1vbV5exoChYEQAvD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

·
Registered
10 Posts
Thanks for the link on those jugs - just pulled the trigger on 2 of them!

Note: they're currently $23.99, and I had to get the total up to $50 in order to qualify for free shipping. I found a 35L OR dry sack for under 10 bucks, which basically made it free since it took the place of the ~$9 shipping charge:
https://www.buylci.com/durable-dry-sack---35l.html

·
Beater
74 Posts
I couldn't figure out how this would be better than just unscrewing the cap but paired with a cheap plastic garden hose valve seems like it would be perfect.

·
Registered
16 Posts
For anyone who's been considering a pop up pit or a swank fire mat, fireside outdoors is having a pretty good sale right now - up to 30% off depending on the code you "spin" to win. FWIW, you can spin multiple times if you repeat going to their site in an incognito browser window. ;) It does seem that some of the bigger codes don't work for everything. I tried a 25% or 30% on their fire mat and the site told me it wouldn't work for that item.

I have no affiliation with the company, I just happened to find the sale today and know a lot of folks here like their stuff.

·
Registered
47 Posts
For anyone who's been considering a pop up pit or a swank fire mat, fireside outdoors is having a pretty good sale right now - up to 30% off depending on the code you "spin" to win. FWIW, you can spin multiple times if you repeat going to their site in an incognito browser window. ;) It does seem that some of the bigger codes don't work for everything. I tried a 25% or 30% on their fire mat and the site told me it wouldn't work for that item.

I have no affiliation with the company, I just happened to find the sale today and know a lot of folks here like their stuff.
I just ordered one. Thanks much!

·
Shapp
1,834 Posts
The apache cases at harbor freight are a great deal if you are looking for a pelican type case. Lots of different sizes. The 3800 and 4800 sizes now comes in different colors. I also have the rifle sized dry case and it is a great deal. You can also use the standard harbor freight 20% coupons that come in the mail on these cases as well.

·
Registered
3,401 Posts

Thanks! Got a 12" Trailblazer on its way to me.

The apache cases at harbor freight are a great deal if you are looking for a pelican type case. Lots of different sizes. The 3800 and 4800 sizes now comes in different colors. I also have the rifle sized dry case and it is a great deal. You can also use the standard harbor freight 20% coupons that come in the mail on these cases as well.
Would you trust a camera in one?

I like that they now have a tan case available.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts