Mountain Buzz banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
1,328 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What is your favorite 60 minute meal on the river, mine is steak, sauteed mushrooms, baked potatoes, tossed salad and corn on the cobb. Quick and easy.

·
no tengo
1,873 Posts
good topic but post your recipe! I have a favorite really easy one. you go buy those bbq ribs in a vacuum package and heat on stove or in D.O., heat bush's baked beans in saucepan, heat canned corn. make a salad. voila!

·
Registered
1,328 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Steak done over hot wood coals or charcoal briquets for BBQ, number 2 size potatoes ( fist size) wraped in aluminim foil, placed in coals for 45 minutes, mushrooms sauteed in butter in duch oven, corn on the cobb also wraped in aluminum foil with butter and placed in hot coals for 20 minutes. Season to taste.

·
Registered
1,328 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Whole salmon flays wraped in aluminum foil with butter, sliced onions, Italian seasoning, garlic powder and black pepper, placed in hot coals for 12 minutes. Served with Instant wild rice and grilled asparagus.

·
Registered
1,328 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Have your butcher slice a whole ham in half inch steaks so you can grill them over coals and than baste them with with honey BBQ sauce. Bake number 2 size sweet potatoes wraped in aluminum foil in hot coals for 45 minutes, then serve with butter, brown sugar and cinnamon. Boil broccoli and cauliflower then serve with graded cheese.

·
Registered
320 Posts
dutch oven blackened prime rib with veggies, biscuts, cherry pie desert. If the group really rates them there is a steamed towellete served afterwards. We have served 16 with this meal.

Attachments

·
Registered
3,344 Posts
Holy Cow raymo..... steak, salmon, ham, taters, veggies ...... can I sign up for your next trip? I am the queen of the dutch oven. Pizza, enchilada casserole, and chicken pot pie are some of my favorites. And of course dutch oven cobblers..... YUM-O
I'll have to try the taters in tin foil thing, sounds good. Do you have any trouble with them not cooking enough? Is the trick to get smaller spuds?
KJ

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
Kebabs. We like lamb, deer or antelope. An all-purpose marinade: lime juice, soy sauce, and ginger. Vegs are infinitely variable, although I like those wee boiler onions more than sliced yellow onion. Skewer the vegs and meat, then spray with olive oil (those spray cans are great for river trips). Bamboo skewers are good for the river, as you can burn 'em after (but don't forget to soak 'em beforehand).

desogrill.jpg

Steak night is also a big event. We grill vegs and mushrooms first, then puff up the coals and do the meat.

Another goodie (for groups up to six) is risotto. Arborio rice, olive oil, cup of white wine and a can of broth. You can use leftovers or veg scraps, so it's a good catch-all for later in the trip. Extremely satisfying. Beautiful women seem to love it.

·
Registered
1,328 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Holy Cow raymo..... steak, salmon, ham, taters, veggies ...... can I sign up for your next trip? I am the queen of the dutch oven. Pizza, enchilada casserole, and chicken pot pie are some of my favorites. And of course dutch oven cobblers..... YUM-O
I'll have to try the taters in tin foil thing, sounds good. Do you have any trouble with them not cooking enough? Is the trick to get smaller spuds?
KJ
Yes the number 2 size (fist size) potatoes when buried in hot coals work the best. Always hand pick your potatoes so it takes all the guess work out, of how long to cook your potatoes. 45 minutes works very well. Never cooked pizza, enchilada casserole or chicken pot pie, but they sound delicious, I was never very good at desserts. But always willing to try something new and find other boaters ideas. We always like to invite new boaters on rafting trips.

·
Renaissance Redneck
1,256 Posts
Tuna Noodle Powdered Cheese Surprise
with Whiskey

·
Registered
1,907 Posts
Chip, I agree with you about kebabs, and the game versions sound awesome. We generally do swordfish or chicken. Some of my foodsnob friends don't like the canned olive oil spray, so I take a small pump spray bottle. Same goodness and ease, no propellant. Your marinade is basically the same as what we use, though I like a splash of El Yucateco habanero sauce.

Mmmm, Risotto. We use the Lundberg Creamy Parmesan Risotto in a box. Easy and damned good.

OK, now I'm hungry!

Kebabs. We like lamb, deer or antelope. An all-purpose marinade: lime juice, soy sauce, and ginger. Vegs are infinitely variable, although I like those wee boiler onions more than sliced yellow onion. Skewer the vegs and meat, then spray with olive oil (those spray cans are great for river trips). Bamboo skewers are good for the river, as you can burn 'em after (but don't forget to soak 'em beforehand).

Steak night is also a big event. We grill vegs and mushrooms first, then puff up the coals and do the meat.

Another goodie (for groups up to six) is risotto. Arborio rice, olive oil, cup of white wine and a can of broth. You can use leftovers or veg scraps, so it's a good catch-all for later in the trip. Extremely satisfying. Beautiful women seem to love it.

·
Registered
1,907 Posts
How do you cook it in a box? :mrgreen:
1. Heat 2 cups water to boiling.
2. Drop box in water.
3. Cover, simmer until done. Usually 20 minutes.

This is the "high-fiber" version. Some prefer it "plain."

·
Registered
1,328 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
1. Heat 2 cups water to boiling.
2. Drop box in water.
3. Cover, simmer until done. Usually 20 minutes.

This is the "high-fiber" version. Some prefer it "plain."
I boil water in a coffee pot and use roasting bags to prepare Stove Top Dressing, instant rice, instant mashed potatoes, etc. Just pour Stove Top Dressing and required amount of hot water into roasting bag let stand and serve rite out of roasting bag, you can do the same thing with instant mashed potatoes and instant rice, etc. Makes clean-up easy and no pans to clean.

·
Registered
224 Posts
DO Lasagna is always a hit. 1lb ground beef, 1 lb Italian sausage, I jar/can of spaghetti sauce, 1 large bag of shredded Italian cheese, 1 tub ricotta cheese, 1 box of lasagna noodles.
Brown and mix meat ahead of time, either at home or when you start the coals.
Set aside 2 large handfuls of the shredded cheese aside.
Mix remaining shredded cheese and ricotta together.

2 small scoops of sauce in bottom of 12" DO.
Mix remaining sauce with meat mixture.
1 layer of DRY lasagna noodles.
1 layer cheese mixture
1 layer of DRY noodles laid at a 90 degree angle to the first.
1 layer of meat/sauce mixture.
Repeat layers until no more noodles remain.
Cover top layer of noodles with the 2 handfuls of shredded cheese set aside earlier.
Pour 1 cup of water evenly around the edge of the DO.

8 coals on top, 8 on bottom, rotate DO 90 degrees clockwise every 15 minutes while rotating closed DO lid 90 degrees counterclockwise every 15 min.

Should cook in 50 minutes to 1 hour. When you can smell it, it is done!

PS. Don't buy the no cook noodles and don't cook the noodles first, they will cook as the water boils off.

·
Registered
1,328 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
DO Lasagna is always a hit. 1lb ground beef, 1 lb Italian sausage, I jar/can of spaghetti sauce, 1 large bag of shredded Italian cheese, 1 tub ricotta cheese, 1 box of lasagna noodles.
Brown and mix meat ahead of time, either at home or when you start the coals.
Set aside 2 large handfuls of the shredded cheese aside.
Mix remaining shredded cheese and ricotta together.

2 small scoops of sauce in bottom of 12" DO.
Mix remaining sauce with meat mixture.
1 layer of DRY lasagna noodles.
1 layer cheese mixture
1 layer of DRY noodles laid at a 90 degree angle to the first.
1 layer of meat/sauce mixture.
Repeat layers until no more noodles remain.
Cover top layer of noodles with the 2 handfuls of shredded cheese set aside earlier.
Pour 1 cup of water evenly around the edge of the DO.

8 coals on top, 8 on bottom, rotate DO 90 degrees clockwise every 15 minutes while rotating closed DO lid 90 degrees counterclockwise every 15 min.

Should cook in 50 minutes to 1 hour. When you can smell it, it is done!

PS. Don't buy the no cook noodles and don't cook the noodles first, they will cook as the water boils off.
Interesting about the lasagna noodles, definitely saves time. Love the technique with the Dutch Oven. I will try your DO lasagna on my next outing.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Elk and sweet potato sheperd's pie in a dutch oven. Brown the meat with garlic and onions and whatever veggies you like at home, mash the taters with shredded cheddar at home, freeze them in ziplocs depending how many nights into the trip you are cooking it. Yumm, satisfying!

1 - 20 of 32 Posts