Mountain Buzz banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sorry couldn't resist the Chris Farley reference. I'm new to the sport and my instructor recommended a river runner for my first boat. But I'm 5'7 and 200 lbs and have noticed its not the ideal body type for whitewater kayaking. I was looking into the zen series from Jackson, but read a lot of posts about how at the upper weight levels they can be more difficult. Can you folks recommend a good 1st boat for my body type. Sorry, I'm sure you get 1000 posts like this but I'm really enjoying this sport and want to make sure I have the right equipment!

·
Banned
678 Posts
welcome. Where are you planning on paddling whitewater near Chicago? (I'm originally from there). Ideally you want to be in the middle range of the weight recommendation, for river/creek boats you have plenty of options. I'm 6'1 200lbs and playboats are they only boat that's more difficult to choose because at our weight we're either at the very top of the weight range or way down.

I'd try to demo

Liquid Logic Remix 69
Jackson Super Hero
Maybe even a Medium Pyranha Burn

Like I said though, if you're paddling around chicago you probably don't want a white water boat...

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
They have some ww parks near Chi- east race, yorkville and wasau. Most club members of CWA make trips. Thanks so much for the input.

·
Abron Cabron
611 Posts
SuperHero & Superstar :mrgreen:
you will not regret either. btw, I am very similar h&W stats- 5'7 230lbs.... Both are the best boat of their category i have ever had. seriously JK are great learning boats.(pretty freaking awesome intermediate/expert boats too) easy to roll, forgiving, etc.... i think i have gone on about them once or twice here...

4fun is a great riverplay boat, i.e less aggressive beginning playboat. you will fit in that one fine.
the Monstar/superfun would be too big. JK weight categories are generous for the larger boats.
I have ended up researching all this for the last 4 years, since i got my first 4fun. switching to JK, brought my rolling back from the brink, since i was out of shape and way heavy. i have since lost 30 lbs and have never had so much fun paddling. progressing playboating, and progressing my intermediate creeking/ class IV riverrunning....

anyway, if your situation is looking for whitewater parks only .... superstar or 4fun.

Zen looks like a killer boat for downriver stuff like... the grand canyon, or any thing you dont want to playboat.

super hero is the same but slower and and shorter, which is the jammy for micro creeking (low volume small creeks.) it also packs up well for self support camping. 95 gallons, but a foot shorter then any of the big creekers. I LOVE my 2011 Superhero.... :mrgreen:

Rogue would be good for the great lakes.... and SS camping....in the grand canyon... (i sriously want to go someday soon.......)

good luck!

·
Renaissance *******
1,345 Posts
I used to like being well over the performance weight for my playboat = Better squirtage. But boat design has changed a lot in the last decade. You'll want something made for your size for now but don't hold the manufactures spects as a deal breaker as you get better.

·
Premium Member
3,408 Posts
Get past the body not ideal for kayaking crap and move on. Their are many great playboats and you will be lucky because when you buy for your weight, you will actually have plenty of room for your feet. I dont like Jacksons outfitting so my playboat is a Wavesport. Demo and get on the water. Thats the only know what boat you like best and feel comfy in.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Get past the body not ideal for kayaking crap and move on. Their are many great playboats and you will be lucky because when you buy for your weight, you will actually have plenty of room for your feet. I dont like Jacksons outfitting so my playboat is a Wavesport. Demo and get on the water. Thats the only know what boat you like best and feel comfy in.
Bring down the hammer! Thanks to everyone who posted for their advice. Going to try and demo some of your suggestions next weekend. Thanks again!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Kayak 123,

Where are you in Chicago? I live in Loves Park (north of Rockford). I'm a fat guy in a little boat too. Between my two sons and myself, we have a LL Remix XP9 and 10, a Jackson MonStar and a LL Remix 69. You're welcome to pm me and head over if you want to try any of ours on a local lake out here. I'm sure we have a pfd and skirt that'll fit you too. Also, where are you looking to Demo? Rutabaga in Madison probably your best bet for a variety of boats. Great people too.

·
Registered
461 Posts
Yep, another vote for Super Hero of Karma. Super Star or All Star for easy flatwater play. I'm 6 foot and 200 lbs.I love the Jackson outfitting the boats roll easy. Great to learn in!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts