Mountain Buzz banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all,

In early April we're headed to do a bit of National Park circuit in SW Utah (Bryce, Zion, etc.) and I'd like us to bring our inflatable kayaks. My hope is that we can find some mild (Class I/II) rivers for day trips. The kids are 8 and 10 and although they've seen some action in the IKs I want to start the season out very easy with a positive "get familiar again" kind of day.

Are there any rivers and put-in areas you could suggest around SW Utah?

Thanks a whole bunch in advance for reading and replying to my post.

Penguin

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ignore the question about the Virgin River - I can see enough talk about it on these forums to know it's not an option. Anybody have any input about where we may want to go with our IKs? Thanks!

·
Registered
1,453 Posts
I don't know the lower reaches of the Virgin but I think there might be something there that works. (outside of the park) Also, you could possibly put on above Bluff on the San Juan and get a nice little day run down to Sand Island. Don't know that area too well but I think that is an option.
Phil

·
Registered
13 Posts
I would suggest going a little north/east to Moab. Arches and Canyonlands NP's and a great little section of the Colorado river along Hwy 128, the 'Moab Daily'. Multiple put-ins and just the right amount of class/flatwater you're looking for. A few of the rapids are III's in May-June.

·
Beginner
2,470 Posts
I would suggest going a little north/east to Moab. Arches and Canyonlands NP's and a great little section of the Colorado river along Hwy 128, the 'Moab Daily'. Multiple put-ins and just the right amount of class/flatwater you're looking for. A few of the rapids are III's in May-June.
The Moab Daily might be a bit rough for an 8 year old in an IK when the Colorado is running 20k. Moab to Potash would be a better choice at that level. Just don't miss Potash!

·
Registered
13 Posts
The Moab Daily might be a bit rough for an 8 year old in an IK when the Colorado is running 20k. Moab to Potash would be a better choice at that level. Just don't miss Potash!
If you're planning on being in Utah in early April, you shouldn't have a problem. Another alternative besides Moab bridge to Potash is Dewey bridge to Hittle Bottom or Onion Creek. Good camping at Onion Creek...

1 - 7 of 7 Posts