Mountain Buzz banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
394 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'd rather not carpet my trailer, as I intend to use it to haul other stuff besides my raft. It has wooden decking on it that's in great shape and is not splintery. Must I carpet it for the sake of the bottom of my boat? Also, do trailers have to have license plate lights? Lady at the State Patrol said yes, but I haven't seen it.

·
Registered
206 Posts
license plate lights?

i don't know about the license plate lights, i imagine if it is a licensable vehicle that you might need one. sometimes mine doesn't have any lights at all. just make sure to always wet your carpet first! i put astroturf on my utility trailer (which is almost exclusively for my boat) and everyone i boat with wishes they had that shit on theirs! super cheap and super slippery...

·
willpaddle4food
118 Posts
Yes they want a license plate lite, and no you don't want to get stopped some night for some damn little thing like that. Mine is a $4 generic lite mounted to the piece of plywood that holds my license plate. And astroturf has been working real good for mine. It took a forklift with 20 bags of concrete mix and a clumsy operator to even put a small tear in it.

·
What are you sticking the carpet down with? I used outdoor carpet cement to stick it on my wood deck and it only lasted a couple years.

·
Registered
288 Posts
I would suggest taking the decking off the trailer. Go buy some indoor outdoor carpet from home depot. Also but the cement they recomend. Wrap each individual sheet and staple on the backside. Then reinstall the decking. That should make it last a lot longer since the edges wont be able to peel.

·
Registered
796 Posts
It will cost more but last forever, replace the decking with a composite like Trex or similar and never have to think about it again.

·
Kjirsten
1,483 Posts
I put astroturf on mine and I love it. Not only is it soft for the boat, but I can sleep on it and play golf on it.

·
Registered
457 Posts
I put a 6'x8' 2 piece platform on my 4'x8' trailer and wrapped both pieces in AstroTurf. All I need to do is take a few screws out and I have a regular 4'x8' trailer. Haven't actually used it yet, we'll see.

·
Registered
418 Posts
Necessary? No, but it has it's advantages. I have a multi-purpose trailer, so I opted not to and have had no notable signs of excessive wear. However, make sure that the wood it sits on is well sanded and splinter free. The biggest issues arise as you slide it across the surface, so a little extra extra caution is advised.

·
Registered
394 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks Casey, finally someone answered my question! I' think I'm going to do it, based on what I've heard here. Seems like it's not so much of an anti chafe issue as it is a convenience on and off the trailer issue eh?

·
Super Moderator
3,966 Posts
Thanks Casey, finally someone answered my question! I' think I'm going to do it, based on what I've heard here. Seems like it's not so much of an anti chafe issue as it is a convenience on and off the trailer issue eh?
If you want convenience getting the boat on and off the trailer, put a simple roller consisting of a steel pipe with PVC sleeve across the back. There are plenty of other ways to do it and if you search on it, you'll find lots of threads. Astroturf or carpet are unnecessary and if you're not careful how you attach it, you could have sharp metal exposed to the raft (screws, staples, etc.) sticking into the floor of the raft. I've always just painted my trailer every few years, it works just fine, no abrasion, and the raft slides on it just fine.

·
Registered
4,607 Posts
what about staples for attaching astro turf to wood decking?
I guess if you want to get a hole in your boat...... We use liquid nails, and wrap the astro turf around the edges and screw with some furring strips from below. No screws on top of the decking.

·
Registered
212 Posts
Your old carpet

Simpleman - Is that why you gave me a roll of the stuff in 2011? Or was it just the wrong color? It works great and I load all sorts of crap on it without damage. So thanks for the carpet.

Bruce

1 - 20 of 30 Posts