Mountain Buzz banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone spoken with Aire about the PVC fabric wrinkles in the 146DD? Second panel down from the bow and stern in most pictures. I know Aire boats have some wrinkles but these seem more than normal.

Owners: Do they go away when fully inflated?

If the fabric is loose/wrinkled on the outside of the tube, does this mean the welded seam on the inside of the tube is taking all of the force?

Possibly re-thinking my WTB wish list...

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
So the marbling and wrinkles are different. Shot the sh_t with an Aire rep and he hadn't noticed the fabric wrinkles so we looked at several models in the showroom. Still not sure if it'll make a difference long term but just wondering.

·
Sponsoring Vendors
259 Posts
It sounds like you may be referring to crinkles from the bladders being twisted, which is definitely a different thing from marbling. We had a customer with a yellow 143D a few years back where both ends had very bad wrinkles on the underside. It took some messing with the tube bladders and about an hour of time to resolve, and it is not always very intuitive. AIRE rarely ships a raft out the door like this but it happens once in a while. The first thing is to check that the welded seam is in the same relative clock position all the way around, i.e. if it is near the zipper, and say at the "4:30" orientation, make sure it is there the whole circumference. Then, most of the time anyway, you actually have to pull the bladder INTO the wrinkled areas rather than trying to pull it away as one might think. Not sure if AIRE has any youtube instructional video for this. If it is too much to deal with, and on a new boat you shouldn't have to, take some photos and send them to AIRE - and if need be have them pick up the boat.

·
Registered
1,506 Posts
Has anyone spoken with Aire about the PVC fabric wrinkles in the 146DD? Second panel down from the bow and stern in most pictures. I know Aire boats have some wrinkles but these seem more than normal.

Owners: Do they go away when fully inflated?

If the fabric is loose/wrinkled on the outside of the tube, does this mean the welded seam on the inside of the tube is taking all of the force?

Possibly re-thinking my WTB wish list...
Both my 136DD and the 146DD I replaced it with had wrinkles on the rocker sections of the boat. You can see them pretty distinctly in this picture....

I kind of agree that they are a bit excessive and I was a little annoyed when I first got the 136DD but got used to it. They may get a bit better with more pressure...but there really isn't a great way to get rid of them. I've seen this on some Sotars and my Hyside Mini Max had them as well...but it seems to be particularly prevalent on Aire rafts especially the ones with more agressive rocker. I think it happens when its welded and the panels are slightly mismatched. Seems like it would be hard to fix and would involve a lot of scrapping boats to get them perfect...so I guess they just embrace it and don't worry about it.

For what its worth...other then being a bit harder to clean...I haven't noticed any real detriment to the wrinkles...and I like the boat well enough to live with it.

Attachments

1 - 6 of 6 Posts