Mountain Buzz banner

EZ or Big EZ??

5K views 5 replies 6 participants last post by  Bubbles 
#1 ·
I'm a little over six feet tall, but not guite 6'1". I weigh 160. I want the boat to fit me well enough to be good for play. Should I look for an EZ or a Big EZ? Will I be crammed into the EZ because of my height?

#4 ·
EZ vs. Big EZ

I'm 6' 190 lbs and own the EZ. Granted I'm a freak about fitting into small boats. I had to bump the front of the EZ to add some comfort.

Your weight says EZ, but your hieght says Big EZ. Remeber your not losing anything river running or surf, or hole riding by going up in size to the Big EZ. It's just your flatwater skills that would be bennefitted by downsizing to the EZ.

You might want to comprimise. Think Ace 4.7. Same volume as the EZ at 47 gals, just longer through the legs. You would most likely take the plastic foot tray out to make even more room.

#5 ·
I agree with much of what Don just said, but I would also suggest checking out the Ace 5.1. That may be a better fit for your height, and, at your weight, would be a bit easier to throw down than the Big EZ.

At 6 ft, 32/33-in inseam, size 9.5 feet, it was a very tight squeeze for me to get into the 4.7 or EZ, so you might not have much better luck.

As for your weight, Wavesport publishes one very useful metric. They talk about the paddler weight at which the water line is at the boat's parting line (which is a line that divides the hull from the deck, as I understand it). Even thought the volume for the Big EZ and Ace 5.1 are similar (or the same?), that weight is about 170 lbs for the 5.1 and 190 lbs for the Big EZ. So, for you, that line would be out of the water for either boat, but more so in the Big EZ.

I looked into this quite a bit when I decided I was riding a bit low in my 5.1, with all of the associated difficulties (riding enders through rapids, doing inadvertent mystery moves at inopportune times, etc.). I decided to switch to the Big EZ, which, in my case, seemed to be a good decision.

#6 ·
Try a Riot Booster

If you are open to other options, try a Riot Booster. I'm 6'1" and about 155 lbs. and I fit in the Booster 55 pretty well. (The outfitting needs a new upgrades though). The Booster is a great boat if you are looking for a river runner/ entry level playboating. :D

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.