Mountain Buzz banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
652 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Eye glasses suck for kayaking. They fog way too much in the cold run off. Lot's of times, I'm going down a creek half blind.

I've tried everything to keep them from fogging. I've probably tried 6 different products, including lemon pledge, rainX besides the usual suspects.

I want Lasik. My doc said they can do it for $2000 per eye. That's unreasonable.

Anyone have cheaper recommendations in the Front Range/Denver area?

Thanks much.

·
Registered
265 Posts
eye glasses just plain suck... try sunglasses and contacts. Can you wear contacts? Just bring an extra pair for the drive home, just in case.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I got mine for $1000 per eye

I got mine done about 6 years ago. I live in Steamboat, and a local doctor did the lasix in Denver - he rented machine time down there. It was the best decision I have ever made - 20-20 and NO GLASSES OR CONTACTS. Seems weird that the same procedure is twice as much. I would shop around. Don't let price be your only consideration though, it is your eyes we are talking about.

Just my $.02

Tony

·
Registered
688 Posts
I hear your lasered vision will never be as good as contact/glasses corrected vision. I get about 20-11/20-13 with glasses, but couldn't do better than 20-20 with lasik. Not a big deal unless you are into astronomy or anything with real detail.

-d

·
Registered
745 Posts
I just got mine done by allen roberts. He's in littleton and I am seeing 20/15.. Can't believe it took me this long to get lasik done. I love it.

Gary

·
Registered
480 Posts
You could head up to Canada and have it done for about half that price - plus airfare. They use the same and sometimes better equipment up there that hasn't been "approved" by the FDA yet. I was going to do it but found out my corneas are too thin to take it. Focus Night and Day contacts work great for me. They are the newer type of lens and they fit tight on the eye. I have been splashed right in the face so many times and the lenses stay put. I've opened my eyes under water and they stay put. You might give them a try.

·
Registered
688 Posts
GaryE,
I could deal with 20-15, how much per eye?
-d

·
Registered
1,471 Posts
I had mine done by Karen Heuer. She rocks. Must admit that it cost me about $2000 per eye. Like it was said above that you might not want the cheapest deal you can get....sometimes you get what you pay for. I have been between 20-10 and 20-15 in both eyes. I could read the clock on the wall right when I sat up. Frickin ridiculous. I'm like one of those people who never had glasses and now take my vision for granted. Her deal is also that if you have the surgery and you're not better than 20-40 in 6 months, then she'll do a revision at no extra cost. The $2000 also covers about 10 check ups - pre surgery, 1 day, 2 days, 5 days, 10 days, 1 month, 6 month, 1 year, 2 years. My dad had mono vision done by her - he's 55. He sees 20-20 now and was legally blind. Worth every penny to be able to not have to deal with contacts or glasses as a creek boater.
joe

·
Registered
652 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yea, I agree that I don't want the cheapest, but since I see adds at $400 per eye, I assume I can do better than $2000 per eye.

Also, I think they all pretty much use the same machine. There's very little human interaction, so I don't think the doctor quality comes into play much, except to catch the people who shouldn't use the system. I don't think this is rocket science........

·
Registered
49 Posts
icon

got mine done 4 years ago, and I still have better than 20/20 vision.

done in denver.... by icon ... only 500 an eye!!!
I did a lot of research, and this doctor had done a lot of surgeries with
his lazer- and had a high success rate. that's all you need.

cheers,

yoder

·
Registered
107 Posts
Lasik -

Funny you should bring this up. Just had a long, informative talk with an optometrist on a chair lift about the pros and cons of folks who fall out of the bounds of the normal bell curve for Lasik. (Perhaps you do too. Is there a reason why you still wear glasses???? ) In my case, she said, wait a few more years, new technology is coming for folks like me. I trusted her opinion as she was not making any money off me! (And I have done a ton of study on this matter!)

Go slow, find the guy in town who fixes a lot of botched Lasik jobs and get an estimate from him!
I got all excited about getting lasered until I learned I have thin corneas and wicked amount of near-sightedness (-7.5 diopeters). They could not do the flap on me and would have to simply plane down the cornea. Yikes. Scared me off!

·
Registered
281 Posts
The Laser Center. I had mine done years ago and had to go to Toronto at the time, as the laser necessary for my surgery wasn't approved in the US yet. They were recommended to me by several folks and the real seller was when i mentioned the doctor's name to the eye doc i went to growing up, his eyes got huge and he said ES that's where you need to go - i think it was dr machoit or something. The laser center has offices all over no america, so follow ups or help is available wherever you are. they also offer a lifetime guarantee that included any follow ups (ddr visits, surgeries, reading glasses for later years, etc).

A few things to be aware of: 1-- your eyes will be very dry at altitude, plan to get picky or finiky about the eye drops you use as you will notice the difference! 2-- it may take you a bit to get used to night vision. 3-- although most people end up with 20/20 or better, 20/30 or so is pretty common, too. 4-- be wary of doctors that only want to work on one eye at a time, this shows a lack of experience and lack of confidence. 5-- good luck, it's one of the best things i have done!

call or email me if you have any questions.

matt solomon
970 376 2146
[email protected]

·
Registered
539 Posts
how high can you go with lasix? i've heard that altitude can cause a problem. is 20,000 feet okay? i'd like to check out denail some day.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts