Mountain Buzz banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi new to these forums,

I'm looking for info on r4ing some smaller rafts specifically hyside mini max, trib 9.5 hd, or the rmr storm 10.5.

This will be my first raft purchase. It will be used on only single day trips so having alot of space isn't really a concern. It will be r4ed by people under 200lbs. On mostly the gauley, and yough Rivers. Does this sound feasible or are these rafts to small?

Lastly is the trib 9.5 significantly smaller then the other two? Looking at the dimensions its 8 inches shorter but 3 inches wider then the mini max. If the 9.5 has enough space I'd most likely go with this raft as I have a very tight budget.

Thanks for any help!

·
Registered
370 Posts
Mini boats are almost as maneuverable as kayaks when you're R2ing, but are easy victims to holes. I've got a mini-max and mostly R2, but lately I have been R4ing and I have to say it is amazing. We ran it with 4 down the lower narrows on the Poudre last week. It does ride low in the water but tracks amazingly with four, and if the boaters know how to move their weight it is remarkably stable. And I can't fail to mention the muscle power of four people pushing a 70 lb raft. I would recommend a 10.5 footer if you'll mostly be R4ing because it will have a little more buoyancy, more room, but more importantly because of those two thwarts giving more bracing options. Also, if you decide to do multi days the 10.5 footers are actually pleasant for three days.

·
Registered
610 Posts
Four of us took an RMR Storm 10.5' out a couple weeks ago. It was super. Super maneuverable. Super fun. Super comfy. Super awesome. Most of the time we didn't need all four paddles in the water, two of us could paddle it super comfortably through most of the rapids, and had the other two chip in when we were making quick moves or catching small eddies.
Getting ready to take it out again on an overnighter between two of us. We'll see how comfy it is when we have a bunch of gear packed into it.
But honestly, we're going to buy one. It's super perfect for what we need, even with three kids as passengers, and it's affordable at $1700 with a 5 year warranty.
I can also say that if we had an extra $1000 to throw at an Aire Sabertooth we'd do it in a friggin heartbeat. That thing is funfunfun! Little smaller, but oh so fun. Tracks well and is super stable, drives like a mo fo. I especially liked the handle placements, made carrying it around super easy.

Hey, on a side note, how many times did I just use the word super?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks alot for the replies! They were both very helpful. Im really leaning towards a mini max just due to being more compact rolled up since that's how it'll mostly be stored and transported.

·
Registered
993 Posts
FYI- the stupid rules at ohiopyle state park do not allow rafts under 14ft if the river is over 4 ft. If you like big water that's something to think about. A super duper puma is a good option as you can go big water lower and still make the tight moves on the upper.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks I wasn't aware of that, I'll take it into consideration but unfortunately that raft is way out of my price range

·
Registered
109 Posts
My friend just purchased the rmr 10.5 and took it on a 5 day salt trip w passenger and is crazy about it.

Sent from my iPhone using Mountain Buzz

·
Registered
49 Posts
I feel like more and more people are getting these 10.5' boats and seem to love them for their practicality and ease of use. Also the debate seems to be between two players: Hyside Mini-Max vs. RMR Storm.

·
Registered
251 Posts
No black because the rubber gets super hot and the air pressure in the boat can change quite a lot in the sun which is probably more of a pain in the butt to manage on your roof rack than it is in the water.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Don't forget Jack's Plastic Welding. The Fatboy solves all the problems. 20 inch tubes, drafts high. Three thwarts, easy bracing. American made (can't be said for the others). Solid bailing floor with drop stitch, tracks and is fast. Just putting in a plug for the local boy and I can say nothing but great things about mine (thanks Jack, Errol, Kim and Lorie). R2, R4 and R5 are all ridiculously fun. Give them a call and you will not be disappointed.

·
Registered
129 Posts
I run a saturn 9.5 and its tons of fun it weights 80 lbs and is super easy to throw on top of my van. R2ing is pretty fun but it rides great with 3, myself guiding and a little wight in the front. I have a small frame also and its not to bad for overnighters. it fills up quick with gear but ive done a multi day with 3 people and a dog and it worked fine. people hate on saturns but i think is because they are pissed they could have spent less.

·
Registered
39 Posts
No black because the rubber gets super hot and the air pressure in the boat can change quite a lot in the sun which is probably more of a pain in the butt to manage on your roof rack than it is in the water.

Own one yet? I just bought a demo mini me neo..after consideration-
I would agree that the neo is more to manage on the trip to the river, but so is my green maravia spider full on the trailer.
The trade off of Cashola & the NEO stickiness of the neoprene sold this old paddle boater.
We crush R3-5 up to 5k on browns & max Numbers in the spider & cant wait for mini me adventure.
Ive run every brand - they ALL get hot, that why we take em down the river!

·
Beginner
2,470 Posts
The Jack's Plastic boat is a better choice if you must R4 in a 10ish foot boat because it has big tubes. A 12 foot boat is a better choice for four in my opinion. Mini-me and other sub 10 foot boats are sluggish and draft too low with four adults in my experience. They are best with two or three people.

If you have a regular group of four rafting get a bigger boat.

·
Registered
175 Posts
"The trade off of Cashola & the NEO stickiness of the neoprene sold this old paddle boater" I agree totally. Black boats don't get much hotter than Blue, Green or Gray. Neoprene is sticker than Hypalon. As long as the boat is in the water I have no issue with my Neo. When you get out of the water EVERYONE bleeds air out no mater what color your boat is. What's the big deal? I prefer to R 2 my Mini Max, but have had a 3 load. Have not had a 4 load in her yet. Awesome little boat! GET ONE

1 - 20 of 20 Posts