Mountain Buzz banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
499 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm showing signs of exostosis and need to be good this spring and wear earplugs. I was wondering among you who wear earplugs what kind do you like. I've seen custom molded jobs that seem to be the ticket, anyone know where in/around boulder I could get those? I've tried docs and didn't like them too much. Also, if you have exostosis how long did it take to develop and how is it treating you?

-Brian :shock:

·
Registered
399 Posts
How do you know if you have exostosis? I have pain in my ear sometime after getting worked in a hole. Is this something I should have looked at?

·
Super Moderator
2,841 Posts
going deaf

Hard to say how much of my hearing loss is from whitwater or power tolos. I am pretty good at wearing plugs while running tools, but haven't found ones I like for water. Let me know if you find something you like Brian.

·
Registered
619 Posts
I was diagnosed with exostosis about 6 months ago. A friend and doctor made some great ear plugs for me. His company is called Hear USA but is in Seattle. He custom fit me with plugs by making a mold of my ear. The plugs themselves have a diaphram at the surface that does not allow water in, but they are hallow on the inside and allow you to hear pretty well. Because hearing is so important on the river, I suggest these custom types plugs. I have been paddling since 1991 but grew up paddling in the South. Although most water is warm, there are also some cold rivers. Bottom line, exostosis are bone growths in your ear in response to cold water. If you paddle in cold water they are inevitable and if they get out of control you will experience hearing problems and will need painful surgery. There is a write up in Creeks & Rivers I think in the Rio Grande section. If you need more info or suggestions I can contact my bud in Seattle.

·
Registered
499 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
How do you know if you have exostosis? I have pain in my ear sometime after getting worked in a hole. Is this something I should have looked at?
I think the technical term is diffuse exostosis, google it and you should find more than you ever wanted to know. It's basically your ear canal reacting to cold water by building up layers of bone. Eventually it could completely close up but that is pretty extreme. My left ear is a little difficult to get a q-tip in, and that's why I'm guessing that it has started. I have no hearing loss or pain associated with it. I've been kayaking since the early 90's, mostly in Colorado, so I'm a prime candidate.

A friend and doctor made some great ear plugs for me. His company is called Hear USA but is in Seattle. He custom fit me with plugs by making a mold of my ear. The plugs themselves have a diaphram at the surface that does not allow water in, but they are hallow on the inside and allow you to hear pretty well.
Thanks for the info, that sounds like exactly what I'm looking for. I checked them out but they have no offices in Colorado. How much did you pay for them?

-Brian

·
Registered
619 Posts
I only paid about $40 but like I said, he gave me a friend discount. I wouldn't think they would be too much more except you would have to pay for a doctor's visit as well.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Ok.. a pair of Doc's Pro Plugs will help and aren't expensive. They are the benchmark for off the shelf ear plugs for water sports.. surfing, kayaking, etc and won't break the bank. They are vented, ear shaped, and have many sizes that will fit. Also, you will lose plugs kayaking so there's little reason to buy expensive ones. They can size you up at most dive or kayak shops in town.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Brian,

I use Doc's Pro plugs. They work very well and have the vent hole so that you can hear. I have had the same pair for a couple of years now Check out the website
http://www.proplugs.com/

I tried several different types before settlling on Doc's (including the custom jobs) Just be forwarned...it is very different paddling with ear plugs and it will take some getting used to.

·
Registered
46 Posts
It is very different paddling with plugs.. the cold water doesn't rush into your ear like a spike heading for your brain!! Also, need to pay attention to those around you because the noise is muffled. Doc's Pro Plugs are vented to regulate the air pressue in the ear, but they do not let the water inside. They make some plugs without the vent for people who have damaged ears. Just an FYI.

·
Registered
1,079 Posts
Ears

You can get your ears checked the next time you go to the doctor. I had mine scoped and had then take pictures both two years ago and last season. I had some small increases between the two years, but nothing major. The only way to really now is to go to a ear doc and have them check out your ears. Don't want a q-tip not to fit or for pain to develope. Just go to the doc and have him or her look.

·
Registered
146 Posts
I started having problems last year also. I bought the DOC's plugs and wear a skull cap and it seems to help alot. I had my Dr. check my ear and it looks ok now. He advised me to come see him in the spring if it hurts. I grew up surfing in cold water and never had problems until kayaking in CO.

·
Registered
59 Posts
DOC's

Doc's Pro-Plugs are a good deal. Get the vented ones. And get a backup pair for when you -inevitably- lose your original pair.

I've got some manky exostosis going on too. Best thing I do is preventative maintenance: every month or so put a few drops of Swim Ear in your ears. Let it get down in there by lying on your side so it will drain into your ear. Work it around in there by pulling on your ear and rubbing around :> This breaks up the wax. Then flush it out with a bulb irrigator (from the drug store) filled with warm (not hot) water. This flushes out any wax buildup and lets your ear drain. This is important b/c with exostosis your ear canal is smaller and dosn't drain well now. You want to avoid the viscious cycle of exostosis/infections that just leads to more stenosis (shrinkage) of the outer ear canal...which in turn leads to MORE infections and exostosis. Keep your ears clean...

Oh yeah: don't use Q-tips - they just push wax down farther into the ear. This impacted wax makes drainage worse. Which makes infections likely.

My ten cents.
Gordon

·
Registered
114 Posts
Any idea how much you have to paddle in cold water before worrying about this. I.e., is this something a weekend Colorado warrior like me has to worry about?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts