Mountain Buzz banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Wife landed a job at the hospital in Salida, CO so we finally made the dream work to get the heck out of the Denver area and move to the promised land. Stoked to be here for great mountain biking, good skiing, and general awesome small town livin. Also, turns out there's a river here and boating is fun as heck as well. I got a ducky this past summer and got it out for some mellow runs on the Arkansas, and now I'm seriously considering getting a hard side kayak and learning to paddle more serious whitewater.

Not sure how active I'll be here, but I'm fairly active on other forums for mountain biking and skiing under the same handle so if you see me around say hey. Oh, and if anyone is in the Ark Valley and is up for floating with someone super new to the river, lemme know.

I'm sure I'll be combing through the classifieds looking for the "right boat" (jaja) to buy as my first boat. I'm a bigger dude at 6'2"/200# and looking to spend as little as possible to get into it, figuring that my first boat is by no means my forever boat—just need something to learn some skills in. Might try and buy something this fall so I can do some roll clinics at the aquatic center (indoor pool) here in town this winter.

Cheers,
FT

·
Registered
5,035 Posts
You're right...don't worry about finding the perfect first boat, it won't be your end-all boat. Find one you fit in, learn some skills, learn to roll, meet people.

For pool sessions, any boat you can fit into without excessive volume (not likely at our height/weight) nor so small you get knee/foot pain should work. Borrow a boat if you have to...it's nice to learn to roll in warm water. I learned in an old Perception Pirouette and a Perception Corsica. And then had a Dagger Redline, a Wavesport X, a Wavesport Big EZ (really liked that one..but it got tight as I got older/less flexible). I fit in a Dagger Agent 6.1, but it's twitchy on seamy water.
The newer Jackson boats are way more comfy than the old WaveSport boats that Eric Jackson once designed. Look for any generation SuperFun. The SuperStar is a decent playboat, but won't be as much fun for a beginner in bigger water. Dagger Mamba or Dagger Nomad creek boats have tons of volume for the river..but are larger and harder to roll. As BG noted, @Electric-Mayhem can better comment on newer half slice boats.

·
Registered
2,052 Posts
Plenty of boats out there for a couple hundred bucks. If you are lucky you might find a full setup too. Honestly...200lbs isn't bad...plenty to choose from in that weight range. You are a little taller then some...but not bad either. A lot of the medium sized boats will still fit and float you and all the larges will. I agree that a Mamba, Wavesport Diesel, Jackson Zen, or similar would be a good way to go.

I'm still on the search for my perfect half slice. They tend to be a bit on the narrow and edgy side, so I can't say I'd recommend one for a beginner. They are gonna be spendy right now too since they are pretty popular. I have a Pyranha Ripper and I like it...but its also a bit on the tippy side and I'm looking to try a few other ones like the Dagger Rewind and Waka Steeze to see if they suit me better. Mostly looking for a half slice with some more width and rocker so its a more stable drier ride but still can surf and play a little.

I've broken a few boats back in the day...but I'm not sure my weight had anything to do with it. Peeled a Riot Big Gun clean open but I think that was due to an overbaked boat with crappy plastic. I also broke a Riot Hammer on Bailey back in the day...but it was old and beat up to start with. Ran it down some Class IV/V stuff and it was fun. Ran my first lap of Gore Canyon in it... somehow pitoned on a sleeper rock and hit so hard my feet went passed the old school foot pegs. Luckily didn't need to swim. It took me 10 minutes of trying to twist my feet the right way to get out of the boat.

Honestly...I'd go take a lesson and use one of the schools boats for you first couple times out. You'll learn way faster and maybe figure out what you want in a boat in the process.

·
Premium Member
3,115 Posts
Welcome. I live just outside Salida, but am an inflatable sort of guy. If it's lessons and advice you want, might check out RMOC, stands for Rocky Mountain Outdoor Center, they are in Nathrop north of Salida on US 285. From their signs, it appears they are open all year ? As well, Colorado Kayak Supply always has advice, and plenty of used and consignment kayaks, plus an annual gear swap, they are on Main St in Buena Vista. As well, there are usually kayakers in both the BV and Salida play parks you might chat up

Reactions: Full Trucker

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for all the replies and advice, much appreciated!

Been starting to get a little more serious about maybe getting a boat, in so much that I've started actually emailing people selling them. I had a look at a Wave Sport Diesel 80 today, need to talk price with the guy selling it but it seems like it's in good shape and he has a paddle, skirt, and even semi-dry top/pants that I could pick up from him. Missed a large Dagger Mamba that included everything except a PFD for a real nice price by about an hour.

All said, I should probably spend my money on building an office for myself so I don't annoy the wife as much when she's home during my conference calls. And, I'll bet I can find a boat to borrow for roll clinics and lessons and stuff before I buy something. Great suggestions on taking lessons with RMOC, and doing the stuff at the aquatic center. I'll work on that. Look forward to maybe getting out with some of you in the spring.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts