Mountain Buzz banner
81 - 100 of 108 Posts

·
Registered
264 Posts
Not really possible, they are tourists themselves. When was the last time you went into Albertsons and saw a cashier with a local hometown on the name tag?
I was the lead carpenter at Jackson Hole Mt Resort around 2000. I was one of only a few employees with Jackson on their name tag. Every time I got on a chair, someone would make a comment about how rare that tag is. I know a few patrollers and one electrician there that still have a Jackson tag. But yeah, born locals are super rare. Way too expensive to stick around.

·
Registered
1,740 Posts
Worse is we’re wearing name tags…
I had a fond memory just today of working in Yellowstone as a kid. If you received 3 positive comments in a comment box you won a pizza at the employee pub! So I just kept putting them in there! Charlie was so nice today! Charlie gave us great service and was just a joy! Wish all your employees where like Charlie! Ah…if only I’d met a fancy cougar lol! We used to camp in our trucks in the brewery parking lot lol. First real beat down in my kayak was taco hole lol. I can’t believe you gotta have a million dollars to live in Driggs! That’s not ok. Did you guys know rob kincade? Legend

·
Registered
237 Posts
Being displaced by the wealthy in your hometown is annoying but it's objectively better than growing up in a shitty, economically-disadvantaged place.

Both of you had to move, but the person born in Jackson or an expensive urban place like San Francisco, derived both financial benefits and the benefit of growing up somewhere interesting.

·
Registered
264 Posts
Being displaced by the wealthy in your hometown is annoying but it's objectively better than growing up in a shitty, economically-disadvantaged place.

Both of you had to move, but the person born in Jackson or an expensive urban place like San Francisco, derived both financial benefits and the benefit of growing up somewhere interesting.
I have no complaints. It’s a bummer, but I certainly reaped the benefits living in an amazing place. I was incredibly fortunate to spend a fair amount of my childhood on a ranch within Teton Park. The sad part is seeing a great place ruined by 20,000 square foot homes and the great local culture dissolved. I certainly haven’t seen any financial benefits, however.

·
Registered
264 Posts
It's crazy to me that people want to live in 20k sq foot homes. My dream would be a 3 or 4 bedroom house on large acreage with a river or creek
Live? These ‘homes’ aren’t LIVED in! These are vacation homes. The third or fourth, in most cases. Met with a potential client recently. In describing what he wanted his cabinets to be said, “I want something different. Our Santa Barbara home has lots of white painted cabinets. In our Napa house we went with the big European stone and timber motif. Our Sedona house is adobe with lots of pastels and such. We went with the timber and reclaimed wood thing in our Park City home. I’d like to go with lots of rift sawn oak in our Alta (Wy) place…”. I shit you not. My current client is building a $5 mil home less than a mile from his “cabin” I’d guess is worth $3mil, which he will keep for guests. I’ve been to his current full time home, in Idaho Galls, that has to be in the $5 mil range. It’s really quite insane.

·
My name isn't Will
643 Posts
Live? These ‘homes’ aren’t LIVED in! These are vacation homes. The third or fourth, in most cases. Met with a potential client recently. In describing what he wanted his cabinets to be said, “I want something different. Our Santa Barbara home has lots of white painted cabinets. In our Napa house we went with the big European stone and timber motif. Our Sedona house is adobe with lots of pastels and such. We went with the timber and reclaimed wood thing in our Park City home. I’d like to go with lots of rift sawn oak in our Alta (Wy) place…”. I shit you not. My current client is building a $5 mil home less than a mile from his “cabin” I’d guess is worth $3mil, which he will keep for guests. I’ve been to his current full time home, in Idaho Galls, that has to be in the $5 mil range. It’s really quite insane.
Well shit.

I live in a 1000 sq ft mill house that was built in 1948 with a 100 amp electric panel and no garage. Shit I don't even have eaves on the roof. But my mortgage is almost paid off, and I did it on a lowly public employee salary. I am grateful for everything I have. I am so much better off than probably 95% of every human on the planet. I even have a bunch of boats and even more paddles. I feel really guilty even for buying a "new" eleven year old RAV4 from a friend who's moving overseas and am still keeping the 25 year old Tacoma I bought new in 1997.

I lived in northern Utah for several years in the '90s. I used to travel through Driggs routinely. I always enjoyed it and never figured it would be "gentrified." I have great memories of taking pictures of friends standing on the flatbed with the giant potato advertising the drive-in theater. Is that still there? I haven't been through there in a possum's age.

Let's go boat!

·
Registered
264 Posts
Well shit.

I live in a 1000 sq ft mill house that was built in 1948 with a 100 amp electric panel and no garage. Shit I don't even have eaves on the roof. But my mortgage is almost paid off, and I did it on a lowly public employee salary. I am grateful for everything I have. I am so much better off than probably 95% of every human on the planet. I even have a bunch of boats and even more paddles. I feel really guilty even for buying a "new" eleven year old RAV4 from a friend who's moving overseas and am still keeping the 25 year old Tacoma I bought new in 1997.

Let's go boat!
Yup. I’m trying to figure out how to make my 1500 square foot house smaller, once my kids move out. Though, admittedly, I would like my 2400 square foot shop a little bigger.

·
Registered
1,292 Posts
And this is not the one percent, it’s the ten percent. Years ago I did some repairs in a home at the mouth of La Plata canyon. Dude was some stockbroker hedge fund kinda guy that owned jets, plural. The contractor told me that his propane bill was 2k/month due to poor design (two story windows all across the the north side) and hydronic snow melt for driveways and sidewalks. This is 15 years ago when propane was less then a buck a gallon. Thus dude is not the one percent.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Well shit.

I lived in northern Utah for several years in the '90s. I used to travel through Driggs routinely. I always enjoyed it and never figured it would be "gentrified." I have great memories of taking pictures of friends standing on the flatbed with the giant potato advertising the drive-in theater. Is that still there? I haven't been through there in a possum's age.

Let's go boat!
The tater truck is still there. But the Spud drive in screen blew over late last winter in a horrendous windstorm, after surviving from the forties.
Owners were gonna rebuild it immediately based on the old plans. County had other ideas. Guess they'll rebuild it next summer.

·
Registered
1,740 Posts
Gawd I saw some terrible movie there lol. Can’t remember what. Wish the world still made big dumb stuff and put it on the roadside…or maybe I just like remembering it ? The big root beers still there too I think on the way?

·
Registered
120 Posts
And this is not the one percent, it’s the ten percent. Years ago I did some repairs in a home at the mouth of La Plata canyon. Dude was some stockbroker hedge fund kinda guy that owned jets, plural. The contractor told me that his propane bill was 2k/month due to poor design (two story windows all across the the north side) and hydronic snow melt for driveways and sidewalks. This is 15 years ago when propane was less then a buck a gallon. Thus dude is not the one percent.
I still remember doing interior trim on a place along the river in Jackson, where I first saw radiant heat being installed in a driveway.
I was awestruck.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Kept getting this “most expensive home in Utah “ on my feed so I just searched for Jackson. Don’t know how old the Vedic is but it’s probably more now. Fuck it must be nice to have fancy stuff!!
Teton County passed a "law" some years ago which capped the size of a home at 10,000 sq. ft. A rich guy took them to Court because he was gonna feel cramped in that small a house and built bigger. This went on for some years, and a few million tax dollars. Rich guy lost, and had to make his house a little smaller.
Sometimes, living around here, I think I'm taking crazy pills. Then, I go elk hunting, or ski the backcountry, and feel somewhat better.

·
Registered
1,292 Posts
Can you imagine how much Pinchecharlie’s posted house costs to heat, have the windows cleaned etc etc. I guess a good portion of upkeep/maintainence $ should come to local folks so that’s a good but the mega/trophy home just seems sooo not sustainable.

·
Registered
264 Posts
Can you imagine how much Pinchecharlie’s posted house costs to heat, have the windows cleaned etc etc. I guess a good portion of upkeep/maintainence $ should come to local folks so that’s a good but the mega/trophy home just seems sooo not sustainable.
I’ve known several people that ‘shop’ for these homes. They keep those places stocked and ready should they decide to show up on a whim. One friend hadn’t bought groceries in ages because they swap food out in houses so often the food would get tossed. She’d take it all home.
Another friend caretakes a place for $120k/year plus benefits AND free housing. All he does is coordinate housekeepers, landscapers, the plow guy, the shoppers, etc. It’s unmitigated gluttony.

81 - 100 of 108 Posts