Mountain Buzz banner
61 - 80 of 108 Posts

·
Registered
2,507 Posts
If any of you guys that live there need Sandblasting work done.... you should definitely hit my brother Aaron up. His company has definitely done a bunch of huge log cabins and such that need repainting. As with most people there, he also has a job at one of the Thai restaurants waiting tables in Jackson and does other odd jobs.

He did a exterior sandblasting job on one place outside of Jackson where there was a big bay window looking out at the Tetons that had a 2-3" support beam in the middle, and the new owners spent like $70k having it removed and a new window without the center support put in.

I don't know if he bought land in Driggs or if its just toward that direction....but I know he and like 8-12 friends went in on a big plot of land across the Idaho border that they all plan to sub-divide and build homes on. I get the feeling like that was the only way most of them could afford to own property in the area.

I have another friend of a friend who is remodeling his house in Jackson and its small but nice...and they are like $500k overbudget but if he sold the house it would still sell for more then he has into it.

My parents rent a place year round in Pinedale too and my step mom uses it as her place to get away. She owns some land on the outskirts of town and out in Daniel. She is pretty enamored with the Mountain Man thing that happened in that area, and her plot in Daniel was part of the site where a big fur trading post once existed.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Just to interject a little perspective. I inspect houses for real estate deals all over the region. My wife is a broker. I get to see properties that run the gamut from single wides to mansions. There are affordable properties on the market, especially on the Idaho side of the line. If you're willing to work on a run down place you can get a bargain. My last move over here I did just that- my wife found a place with a lot of serious problems, we got a good deal, and I spent the last year working my butt off fixing it up. Worked for us.
And, prices on the low end in Idaho are softening: mortgage rates went up and a lot of working folks passed on the high prices. The people I talk to who know real estate here expect a downward trend in prices this next year.
As Montet 202 pointed out, you can make good money here. Guys with trade skills can do really well. Work a 4 day week, gross $2K, ski 3 days, repeat. Most contractors will accommodate "powder days".
C’mon man. 600,000$ for a fixer upper is affordable? A bargain? Where did you move from?

·
Registered
1,292 Posts
So you’re taking the new job. Aviation experience wanted in Driggs, Idaho??? Afton, Wyo yeah ok… but Driggs? You gotta spill man. My curiousity is peaked. I am an Avaition/Areospace major that‘s not leaving where he’s at. PM me.

·
$5 shower
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #65 ·
So you’re taking the new job. Aviation experience wanted in Driggs, Idaho??? Afton, Wyo yeah ok… but Driggs? You gotta spill man. My curiousity is peaked. I am an Avaition/Areospace major that‘s not leaving where he’s at. PM me.
I’m sure you understand that I have to stay frosty until things are settled. In time I will share

·
Registered
264 Posts
I'll check out the book but I'm guessing it won't try to convince me that rich Republican assholes masquerading in cowboy hats are a good reason to vote GOP.
Keep in mind, the rich ass holes in cowboy hats are few and far between. They are the ones that come out a week or two at a time to ‘vacation’ in their 20k square foot third homes. You rarely see them.
The real ass holes are the new ‘locals’, who are largely semi-wealthy (compared to the Uber rich) entitles ass holes that want everything the way it was where they came from. Tons of trust funders. 23 year old kids pretending to be fishing guides with $80k trucks and Stealth Craft drift boats. The ski and fishing bums that moved here, and want to stay and raise families, but can’t afford Jackson, move over here to the Idaho side. What’s left, in Jackson, are the rich entitled kids.

·
Registered
973 Posts
Keep in mind, the rich ass holes in cowboy hats are few and far between. They are the ones that come out a week or two at a time to ‘vacation’ in their 20k square foot third homes. You rarely see them.
The real ass holes are the new ‘locals’, who are largely semi-wealthy (compared to the Uber rich) entitles ass holes that want everything the way it was where they came from. Tons of trust funders. 23 year old kids pretending to be fishing guides with $80k trucks and Stealth Craft drift boats. The ski and fishing bums that moved here, and want to stay and raise families, but can’t afford Jackson, move over here to the Idaho side. What’s left, in Jackson, are the rich entitled kids.
I've experiences that, here. Have worked on homes for very wealthy people. Some of the nicest folks I've met. Was out to work on a house I'd finished for a couple- their 3rd home, on a golf course- one Saturday morning. Mr. Homeowner was on one of my 12' step ladders adjusting the limits on his brand new custom garage door openers.
I told him he didn't need to do that, I'd call the installer, have them to come do it!
"Naw, I don't mind, I like this sort of thing."

The people who make juuust enough to drive a(leased) Mercedes SUV and live in a house on "the right" side of town.... THOSE people will cause you far more grief...

·
Registered
120 Posts
C’mon man. 600,000$ for a fixer upper is affordable? A bargain? Where did you move from?
I've experiences that, here. Have worked on homes for very wealthy people. Some of the nicest folks I've met. Was out to work on a house I'd finished for a couple- their 3rd home, on a golf course- one Saturday morning. Mr. Homeowner was on one of my 12' step ladders adjusting the limits on his brand new custom garage door openers.
I told him he didn't need to do that, I'd call the installer, have them to come do it!
"Naw, I don't mind, I like this sort of thing."

The people who make juuust enough to drive a(leased) Mercedes SUV and live in a house on "the right" side of town.... THOSE people will cause you far more grief...
My experience as a contractor has been that it is only people who have money who will hire you, and pay you.

·
Registered
120 Posts

·
Registered
973 Posts
This is indeed behind a paywall. Too bad. I'd love to know what those soft-handed chicken-necked city boys have to say about the trades.
Its been some time since I read it(I don't have a NYT sub. either) But in the briefest of summaries(if memory serves), it is basically an account of a young guy in the trades sleeping his way through a community of wealthy housewives until he ends up settling down in a home he had renovated with the(now ex) wife of one of his clients. :cool:

·
Registered
827 Posts
Difference between a 'Tennis Pro" and a "Dirtbag River Runner"? Based on that NYT piece one could theorize that the Pro selectively works their way up the river of life while the Dirtbag floats their way down the river picking up whatever comes their way......

·
Registered
1,740 Posts
(Inside joke for myself)
Once I sat upstairs at snake river brewery (in Jackson wy) and played some pool. It got crowded and I played with a curly headed guy who was visibly kinda bummed. Being the nice guy iam I went out of my way to be a bro and let him unwind and maybe feel better. After awhile he started telling me about his abusive girlfriend and all the horrible ways she treated him like shite and how she used and abused him. Then it turns out he was just banging a tennis pro and being a kept boy lol. He had met her at some tournament and she had a home in Jackson lol! So now I just laugh at kept boys banging tennis pros lol! I never banged any one famous . My wife’s from great falls so I know a little about abusive girls lol!!! Kinda cringy too be banging a richy cougar divorcey though. Ugh. Lol

61 - 80 of 108 Posts