Mountain Buzz banner

Ever been to Driggs, Idaho?

7703 Views 107 Replies 26 Participants Last post by  tetonadam
I have a phone interview tomorrow for a job in Driggs Idaho.

I am not looking for a change, this was an unexpected contact from someone from an industry I left in 2015 due to a non compete which has expired.

It's a pretty attractive offer, the likes of which I wont see without relocating and maybe not even then.

Any idea what the boating is like around Driggs?
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

· Registered
58 Posts
It’s a frozen shithole for 6 months of the year, mosquito infested for another 5, but august is ok.

The river (Teton) is absolutely infested with SUPs and too many transplants on the city councils working to change the very character of the place that in part made it such an attractive pace to live and raise a family. It gets more and more unlivable for normal people every year.

Spent years of my childhood there and worked construction before I went to college.

The valley ain’t what it used to be.
Politics and transplants aside it is still a fantastic place to live. That is if you could find a place to live. Metropolitan escapees and AirBnB tyranny have wiped out any vestige of housing for normal people. That said, a strong work ethic, resilient attitude and patience will go a long way in finding a place to live. Just don’t forget your wallet. Local whitewater options are mediocre compared to central Idaho or Colorado.

· Registered
58 Posts
Just to interject a little perspective. I inspect houses for real estate deals all over the region. My wife is a broker. I get to see properties that run the gamut from single wides to mansions. There are affordable properties on the market, especially on the Idaho side of the line. If you're willing to work on a run down place you can get a bargain. My last move over here I did just that- my wife found a place with a lot of serious problems, we got a good deal, and I spent the last year working my butt off fixing it up. Worked for us.
And, prices on the low end in Idaho are softening: mortgage rates went up and a lot of working folks passed on the high prices. The people I talk to who know real estate here expect a downward trend in prices this next year.
As Montet 202 pointed out, you can make good money here. Guys with trade skills can do really well. Work a 4 day week, gross $2K, ski 3 days, repeat. Most contractors will accommodate "powder days".
C’mon man. 600,000$ for a fixer upper is affordable? A bargain? Where did you move from?

· Registered
58 Posts
I lived in eastern Idaho for almost 25 years and was happy to leave the crazy republican politics that permeated every part of life. We still have a house in Teton Valley and love it there for a visit but so glad I live in CO full time for now. We rafted and skied and hiked.
If you let politics permeate every part of your life, then yes , we are glad you live in Colorado too.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts