Mountain Buzz banner
1 - 20 of 108 Posts

·
$5 shower
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a phone interview tomorrow for a job in Driggs Idaho.

I am not looking for a change, this was an unexpected contact from someone from an industry I left in 2015 due to a non compete which has expired.

It's a pretty attractive offer, the likes of which I wont see without relocating and maybe not even then.

Any idea what the boating is like around Driggs?

·
Registered
275 Posts
been going to Driggs for 30 years. Cold and LONG winters, good skiing GT & JHMR, world class fly-fishing, good hard working people, lots of Mormons, amazing hiking, not much nightlife, 2 good bars (Royal Wolf and Knotty Pine), 2 meh bars, Trump country, not great hunting, close to Snake, Henry's Fork, Teton rivers (fishing again). 3.5 hrs from Salmon, limited dining choices, grocery closed on Sunday, beautiful summers & fall, expensive to live in now. Jackson airport is 1.25 hrs away and Idaho Falls is 1.5 hrs away.

·
Registered
264 Posts
been going to Driggs for 30 years. Cold and LONG winters, good skiing GT & JHMR, world class fly-fishing, good hard working people, lots of Mormons, amazing hiking, not much nightlife, 2 good bars (Royal Wolf and Knotty Pine), 2 meh bars, Trump country, not great hunting, close to Snake, Henry's Fork, Teton rivers (fishing again). 3.5 hrs from Salmon, limited dining choices, grocery closed on Sunday, beautiful summers & fall, expensive to live in now. Jackson airport is 1.25 hrs away and Idaho Falls is 1.5 hrs away.
Mostly correct. Definitely not Trump country, though.

·
Registered
2,499 Posts
From chatting with my brother who has lived and worked in Jackson for close to a decade but recently bought some land over the pass, it sounds like Driggs has become a bedroom community for Jackson Hole. That is about all I know about it though. I imagine that means it will continue to grow.... who knows what prices and the community will do... I know Jackson is a VERY expensive place to live.

·
Registered
715 Posts
It’s a frozen shithole for 6 months of the year, mosquito infested for another 5, but august is ok.

The river (Teton) is absolutely infested with SUPs and too many transplants on the city councils working to change the very character of the place that in part made it such an attractive pace to live and raise a family. It gets more and more unlivable for normal people every year.

Spent years of my childhood there and worked construction before I went to college.

The valley ain’t what it used to be.

·
Registered
86 Posts
I'm from the area. Very beautiful. Amazing mountain biking. Okay skiing. Very snobby / liberal if that matters to you. Driggs and the Ashton ID area have some of the best views in all of the Rockies. If you are into flat water fishing or elk hunting you can not beat the area.

If you position your housing correctly you can have an amazing view of the Tetons every day.

·
Registered
86 Posts
I stand corrected. Looking at voting records proves I'm wrong. I must spend too much time on the back roads of Teton county. Large signs everywhere...even this past summer.
Driggs/Victor and Jackson are tiny tiny little pockets of... different people.

This is about Jackson, but it is also what is starting on the Idaho side. 3 houses or 3 jobs. When I lived in Jackson I knew doctors that were couch surfing.

·
Registered
1,732 Posts
Really good skiing, snowmobiling, fishing and probably just a good quite life? Except summers on Jackson? Hey do you know a old girlfriend of mine named Donita Darnell? She married a kayaker dude and they used to do ocean surfing retreats for hire. Tall skinny gal lol. I’ve tried to find her forever and haven’t been able to. Goes by dee

·
Registered
264 Posts
Really good skiing, snowmobiling, fishing and probably just a good quite life? Except summers on Jackson? Hey do you know a old girlfriend of mine named Donita Darnell? She married a kayaker dude and they used to do ocean surfing retreats for hire. Tall skinny gal lol. I’ve tried to find her forever and haven’t been able to. Goes by dee
I do. The guy she married (now divorced) is a good friend of mine. They were neighbors until the split. Great gal. Shoot me a DM. I may be able to put you in touch with her.

·
Registered
1,732 Posts
Ah man I couldn’t believe it when it happened. In the early 90’s me and him and another guy drove a Subaru station wagon from San Francisco to Panama kayaking and surfing. I never really hung in Jackson a lot and moved to Kauai a few years after but I allways liked it down there. I really wanted to go to his memorial float but some how missed it. Thanks man!

·
Registered
264 Posts
Ah man I couldn’t believe it when it happened. In the early 90’s me and him and another guy drove a Subaru station wagon from San Francisco to Panama kayaking and surfing. I never really hung in Jackson a lot and moved to Kauai a few years after but I allways liked it down there. I really wanted to go to his memorial float but some how missed it. Thanks man!
Terrible situation. One tough side of living in this community is this happens a lot! Did you know Debbie Martin, as well?

1 - 20 of 108 Posts