Mountain Buzz banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
569 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone ever figured out the correlation between Escalante running and the difference between the flow at Delta and Grand Junction. There are not to many creeks in between Delta and GJ and Escalante seems to be the largest. Right now the difference is almost 1000 cfs. Seems like it should be running. Has anyone ever figured out if this is a good indicator.

Peter

·
Super Moderator
2,843 Posts
I believe there are too many irrigation prjects to interpret much from the two gauges. In theory if there is a few hundred cfs difference it should be running, but it doesn't seem valid. If there is a big differnce in the gauges it is probably good to go.

Right now there is a 500 cfs differnce. It MUST be running. SOMEONE confirm.

I wantto go tomorrow, but not without hearing for sure.

·
Registered
1,303 Posts
The difference in flows actually comes from 3 different creeks, so it is hard to tell how much is from Escalante only. Escalante, Kannah, and Dominguez creek all flow into the Gunnison between the gages. However, the greater the difference the better the chances that Escalante is running.

·
Registered
790 Posts
Just to let everyone know, we cruised by Escalante last Friday on our way to Durango (well, went an hour out of the way in hopes it might be running) and it wasnt even close.... There was some water, but not nearly enough. So there you have it, no Escalante yet. It could have been running before but seems doubtfull.... Seeing as how it got chilly again on Saturday, I doubt if the creek came up any more.

I know everyone's hoping Escalante will run large this year, so if anyone knows when its running, please post. Chamberlain doesn't seem to be on the buzz this year (Tom if your reading this you know we all rely on you for the precious Escalante beta) but hopefully he'll do the traditional posting to open up the Escalante season.

Peace.

·
Registered
112 Posts
thanks for the update Meng.

i checked the situation out in the gazetteer. as Kyle said, there's Dominguez, Kannah and Escalante. but there's also Uncompagre, which we have a gauge for, and East Creek, as well as many tiny streams that account for something i'm sure. but i think those are the big 5 atleast.

anyways, some type of correlation would be helpful. i'd guess you'd want 1000 cfs difference between GJ and Delta after you subtract out Uncompagre?? who knows...

·
Registered
39 Posts
Boatable levels

There is a reason that there's no correlation between the Gunny flows and Escalante. Us hicks like to keep it vague so as to throw off all you front range boaters. :D

1 - 11 of 11 Posts