Mountain Buzz banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
261 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Delta is forecast for 80 degrees starting this weekend. What's the word on snowpack? You think it'll go or is it done?

I'm going to be in GJ Sunday-Tuesday if anybody wants to check it out.

Sent from my iPhone using Mountain Buzz

·
Registered
336 Posts
Columbine Snotel is at 16% of average snowpack for this date. I think it's done but someone with more knowledge might know something that I don't about predicting Escalante flows.

·
Registered
261 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'll be there Sunday, Monday afternoon, and Tuesday as long as there is at least 1,000 cfs difference between the Gunnison at Delta gauge and Gunnison near Grand Junction, CO gauge...which means it should be running low...maybe...

·
Registered
261 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Since I was in GJ anyway I went ahead and drove out to escalante today. At 11 the fin was completely exposed. It's runnable but it's boney jankety low.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Drove over the Gunny @ Austin today; looked pretty chocolate, but not that high. North Fork is running right at around 1470 cfs at Somerset and the Gunny is 459 out of the tunnel. The Uncompahgre is about 454. There is no way our runoff is "done" here, as there is still considerable snowpack in the high country. We have had no real warm weather yet, so watch out when it does finally heat up!

·
Skibum66
79 Posts
I been on the Gunny well below 1000 in my 14' raft. If the flows we are experiencing now continue, you should have no problem unless you get up river wind.

·
Super Moderator
4,836 Posts
I been on the Gunny well below 1000 in my 14' raft. If the flows we are experiencing now continue, you should have no problem unless you get up river wind.

??? This thread is about kayaking Escalante Creek...not rafting Escalate to Whitewater....

·
Registered
261 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Trust me Escalante creek's runoff is done...and skikbum66 is just confused.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts