Mountain Buzz banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey - just a heads up. Escalante is getting ready to go and it will probably go big this year. We were up there climbing this weekend and it was cold and we got snowed out today - but even with the cold temps the river is coming up and is getting muddy. There is a bunch of low to moderately high elevation snow just waiting to go. There was evidence that it has been up high enough to run recently. I'll bet with the higher temps coming that it will be runnable by next weekend. Keep your fingers crossed !

Tom

·
Registered
783 Posts
Went up there yesterday (weds) in the afternoon. Only day i had all week with the time. It had been cloudy most of the day and as such there wasn't any melt going on. Bone zone. Only looked at the takeout gorge before leaving, because there wasn't enough water to even scrape down any of those drops.

Forecast is for high pressure and warm temps Friday, then cloudy again Sat. High pressure Sun/Mon, then cloudy Tues. Starting out as the dreaded 'trickle off'. Hopefully in a week or so we get into some extended high pressure to bring it up for real.

May take a look again on Monday if the forecast holds -- if interested ping me at mike.curiak at gmail.

·
Registered
307 Posts
Keep in mind that there are two Escalantes; one in S Utah, one S of Grand Junction.
My guess is that there is some confusion going on in this thread.

·
Registered
783 Posts
Definitely Escalante Creek in Colorado.

A glance at the barometer gauges right now says it's in pretty solid. Likely to drop with inbound cold temps tonight, but it'll be back next week, and the week after...

·
Registered
783 Posts
I've gotta ask. Barometer gauges?

Start with the flow at the Gunny @ GJ gauge.

Subtract Gunny @ Delta.

And subtract Uncompahgre at Delta.

If what's left is >500, it's an ELF flow.

>700 is good for sallies like me that enjoy the top 3/4 of the run but have yet (yet!) to run the takeout gorge.

>1000 and it's all on, pretty healthy from what I can tell.

I've only been paddling it for ~5 years, so take this with a grain of salt worthy of such noob forecasting. There are certainly nuances to this -- like timing when each diurnal bump hits each gauge -- but the above is a good start.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Looks like it's on for this weekend? Any thoughts if rain tomorrow in delta will help or hurt flows? As in cold with snow at higher elevations.

·
Registered
158 Posts
Looks like it's on for this weekend? Any thoughts if rain tomorrow in delta will help or hurt flows? As in cold with snow at higher elevations.

Be careful, there is a kayak pinned in there but I cannot recall the exact location. At flows we had last weekend it was completely covered and we didn't even see it. Maybe MikeC remembers the location.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts