Mountain Buzz banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello Boaters,
We're a small group considering a one day trip on the Gunnison from the Escalante boat ramp to the Whitewater boat ramp sometime in the next month. Depending on the fire situation of course. The American Whitewater site shows the river running at 682 cfs and shows it in the red as un-runnable. My first question is has anyone run it this low and is it doable? We'd be in 2 lightly loaded canoes and a couple of SUPs. My other question is about camping in the area. We don't plan to camp on the river. Can you car camp near either the Escalante or the Whitewater ramp? We have people in our group that don't want to spend a day on the river, which is good because they can drop us off at the put-in and pick us up at the take-out, so the shuttling is not an issue. And the vehicles will not be left unattended so theft is not a concern. Thanks in advance for any information you might have.
R

·
Registered
6 Posts
Hello Boaters,
We're a small group considering a one day trip on the Gunnison from the Escalante boat ramp to the Whitewater boat ramp sometime in the next month. Depending on the fire situation of course. The American Whitewater site shows the river running at 682 cfs and shows it in the red as un-runnable. My first question is has anyone run it this low and is it doable? We'd be in 2 lightly loaded canoes and a couple of SUPs. My other question is about camping in the area. We don't plan to camp on the river. Can you car camp near either the Escalante or the Whitewater ramp? We have people in our group that don't want to spend a day on the river, which is good because they can drop us off at the put-in and pick us up at the take-out, so the shuttling is not an issue. And the vehicles will not be left unattended so theft is not a concern. Thanks in advance for any information you might have.
R
The Gunny at Delta is running about 600 cfs and the Uncompahgre river just below the Delta put-in is adding another 240 cfs right now so you should have over 800 cfs in your float area. The river gage at Whitewater is showing 1000 cfs, but I would be skeptical of that. I have not run it when it is as low as it is right now. My guess is you can make it in the boats you describe. Might have to get out and drag over a couple of gravel bars. Wish I could give you a definite answer.
There are a lot of primitive camp sites along the road down to the Escalante put-in as well as across the river up Escalante canyon above the private ground. No drinking water available in this area. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
271 Posts
We did it at 613 cfs in July with duckies, and did fine, and actually made pretty good time for a family with kids and slow duckies. We had SUP fins on our duckies to help us out, and we did drag them in a couple spots on gravel bars. We did it in 3 days, but we launched around 3pm, floated about 4 miles on day one, somewhere around 20 miles on day 2 and the last couple miles on day 3.

My youngest solo paddler was 10 on his own, boat, and we towed him a little when the wind picked up. I suspect with canoes and someone to run your shuttle, you could get on early and run it a lot faster than we did.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts