Mountain Buzz banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I thinking of joining some friends on their escalante to whitewater canoe trip in early July.

I've never been down this section of river. Looks like flows will be under 1000.

Anyone know if I'll have trouble getting my cat down at those flows.

·
Registered
64 Posts
I ran this section many years ago. And I own a 17 ft cat. If memory serves there is only the slightestramp at the put in and a fence to carry over at the take out. Be advised.

·
Registered
44 Posts
hey M - I think you should be more worried about the heat, GJ wasn't exactly cool a few weeks ago.

If I join you I might bring my kayak for simplicity.

M

·
Registered
193 Posts
The water will be super mellow, should'nt be any problem getting your cat down.... A few nice side hikes.... Yeah it will be super hot in there.... The take out at Whitewater sucks, you will have to de-rig and walk it up to the parking lot about 40 yards under the railroad tracks ( I'm spoiled with a trailer ) so having some friends along will help. There have been several break-ins to cars in this lot so don't leave anything of value in yours... Would be more fun if you have access to a duckie.... Have fun!!!

·
Registered
182 Posts
Best part of the trip is the Dominguez Canyon and Little Dominguez Canyon side hikes...like walking on diamonds... Great pot holes to lay around in and swim. Your cat won't have any problem making it down. I have taken my 14.5 foot Hyside down around this time of the year, and much later in the summer, and never had any concerns. Like Moon says, "the take out at Whitewater sucks", but is worth the trip. Take a lay over day at Dominguez to make the trip well worth it.

·
Registered
156 Posts
We took our 16' cat down earlier this season with no problem. The put-in is fine, we backed our trailer down and pushed it right off into the water. The take-out is a bitch. Make sure you have plenty of help getting the cat out. You literally will have to carry it out of the water and about 20' up to your trailer, but we managed just fine. It's totally worth it - the Dominguez Canyon side hike is amazing. Enjoy your trip!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts