Mountain Buzz banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Howdy folks, sorry I've been out of touch. I've been away for awile. I saw my name was used during the last Escalante discussion. I don't have any new information as I have just got back in the country last night. However I can say that it is most likely too early for Escalante to be running. Just a couple of weeks ago we were wading across it to go climbing and it was only ankle deep.

It usually starts happening the last couple of weeks of April when the nights start really getting warm. I will let you all know when I find out any new info. It should run pretty good.

Meanwhile everyone should remember that Leap of Faith is gone and has been replaced by a dangerous sieve. Keep your head up!

tom

·
Super Moderator
2,843 Posts
not sure which trib is cranking, but the Gunni is cranking at 3390 cfs.

Could the big E be flashing? or is Kannah going off?

Doubt it will last but something is going off out there.

·
Registered
808 Posts
i would guess it to be colder around gunny--its been warm around montrose and i bet those creeks came up for a short time with the rain--i know the lower san miguel did and it's small creeks come from near where the headwaters of escalante does. it seems to me that despite the differences in weather this time of each year, escalante seems to happen late april almost like clockwork. at least for the 5 or so years i have been paying attention.

·
Registered
39 Posts
It rained like a MF here today, but Kannah won't flow, it comes off Grand Mesa, still way too cold for snomelt runoff from up there. Esc. prob came up briefly d.t. the rain, but it'll still take some warm nights to bring 'er up.
Buzzard will probably come up around the time Kannah does. (May)

·
Registered
374 Posts
We've been getting nailed with rain all dayin Durango. Any prediction for Escalante this w/e? I may just be getting amped for nothing...

Steve.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Maaaaybe, a buddy of mine is checking tomorrow - but it's pretty cool out right now, and I just came from Reeder Mesa out in Whitewater, still colder there than in the valley. With all this rain it might be up, but any rain-off (!?) will surge quicklike. :?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts