Mountain Buzz banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
703 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Escalante is already running, and higher than the past few years. At 57 the fin is covered with a rooster tail sticking out. The right line is out with a large hole at the bottom, so the left line is the current option. The peak is in the morning with a prominent drop in the afternoon (6-8 inches). This may not even be the peak yet, with warmer temps on the way, it may get even bigger.

-Tom or Barry Chamberlain- Talked to Donnie, he maybe interested in coming up this weekend, It would be fun to run this with you again. Friday, Saturday, or Sunday, We'll be there. --

Josh
[email protected]

·
Registered
465 Posts
Escalante report from Sunday, April 17 2005:

Sunday, April 17 2005, trip report:

Escalante creek rose 6-8" from Saturday. The fin at 57 was completely under water and no longer spraying a roost. The sieve at Leap of faith was jammed up with wood and totally good to go. The hole below 57 Chevy is stompin and the Magnetic Wall's is sketch at this flow.

In speaking for our group, we found this to be a perfect level for the upper section. Fast but not real pushy, chocolate milk water, and super clean. Lots of logs floating by as the water keeps on rising.

We took out just above the lower gorge so can't comment on that section. Did hear some scary carnage stories from Sunday though, and really glad no one got hurt.

Get on this gem while you can... it's gooood :)

·
Registered
1,303 Posts
Yeah, it was stompin. Six of us ran the top section. Then 2 of us attempted the lower gorge. The first three rapids of the lower gorge were very pushy and very fast. Don't underestimate that section at this level. The falls has coontinued to change, and looks just about impossible to run now. Especially at this level.

Magnetic wall, the last rapid of the lower gorge is tough. I boofed, and landed directly in a crease. It flipped me downstream and immediately into the undercut wall. My boat wedged and yes, I swam. The swim sucked. It is a very difficult line at the water level it was at on Sunday.

If it continues to rise be prepared. It is a much tougher and faster run this year!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts