Mountain Buzz banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey i need some info on this stretch of the gunny. i want to do it this fall in my 14'er. possible? i've heard it's an easy float but what is the deal with the dam/portage? what about the take out, raft friendly or what? thinking about a weekend solo trip to check it out. planning on launching from delta and have heard of a hotel that will shuttle for you, is that true? thanks!

·
Boy Howdy!
1,064 Posts
hey i need some info on this stretch of the gunny. i want to do it this fall in my 14'er. possible? i've heard it's an easy float but what is the deal with the dam/portage? what about the take out, raft friendly or what? thinking about a weekend solo trip to check it out. planning on launching from delta and have heard of a hotel that will shuttle for you, is that true? thanks!
We just did it from escalante put in (easy but tight) then floated to dominguez(completley over crowded lots of Commercial Canoer's) went a little further and found a great spot by Tunnel Point. The take out at Bridgeport is not good for a raft, you have to go about 30 yds from the river to a train trestle(that you cant stand up straight under) up a path then to the parking lot. I f you have gear you'll have to de rig( probably the frame too) we took out at the whitewater ramp which involved a tight space to eddy out at the de-rig the boats so we could pick them up, go under another train trestle(at least we could stand up straight) toss the boats on trailers. It was alot of work at the take out but the float. There was on diversion dam before dominguez but you just need to stay river left( you will hear it as you approach it) But like I said before it was a great trip, nice scenery and worth the work.

·
Registered
2,085 Posts
Make sure you bring a whistle.

·
Registered
1,907 Posts
Be careful! Certain people "'bout lost their life" on that section. Do NOT attempt it without an adequate supply of turkey legs and Schlitz!

Otherwise, you'll be blowin' yer friggin' whistle like a hysterical person...

·
Boy Howdy!
1,064 Posts
Be careful! Certain people "'bout lost their life" on that section. Do NOT attempt it without an adequate supply of turkey legs and Schlitz!

Otherwise, you'll be blowin' yer friggin' whistle like a hysterical person...
Let me tell you that the nastiest ripples that I have ever had to go through were on this river...I nearly could'nt sip my beer, I almost blew my whistle on that one

·
Registered
1,907 Posts
You 'bout lost your BEER on that float! You are lucky you are actually here to tell your story! Did you scream, "HELP, HELP, HELP"?

Let me tell you that the nastiest ripples that I have ever had to go through were on this river...I nearly could'nt sip my beer, I almost blew my whistle on that one

·
Boy Howdy!
1,064 Posts
It was loud and clear, I also had to shoot a flare and put out an alert on the emergency channel but Grif never showed up... whats's up with that?

·
Registered
1,907 Posts
It was loud and clear, I also had to shoot a flare and put out an alert on the emergency channel but Grif never showed up... whats's up with that?
Grif has been busy filming the pilot to the "new and improved" Rescue 911. Apparently they've signed Shatner to host it. Yakgrrl will make a cameo as "Hysterical Kayaker in Treacherous Whitewater."

Grif was supposed to get a replacement before he went "Hollywood," however. You may have grounds for a lawsuit...

1 - 9 of 9 Posts