Mountain Buzz banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
417 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, when will outfitters and kayak retailers start their markdown on boating gear and who historically give the best deals? Specifically, I am looking at IKs.
Thanks in advance for any tips on this.

·
Registered
84 Posts
late fall early winter. November and December. But the deals are not what they have been historically. NRS will do boater bucks, and you be lucky to get 10 to 15% on new boats from Sotar or Maravia. Sotar does a spring sale too. I would not buy an outfitter boat. Outfitters know how to get every last bit of value out of their boats or they go out of business. I'd go buy from a private party first. Good luck

·
Registered
213 Posts
We have our end of season sale every year the weekend after Labor Day (Sept 12-13th this year). The sale is phone-in or in-store only, but we put the entire store at 20-50% off (a few exclusions apply due to dealer agreements), and sell our our rental and demo gear at 40-70% off retail.

·
Registered
205 Posts
Outfitters get a lot of use out of their IK's and typically don't sell them off as they take a lot longer to pay of than a raft, as you can only get one custy in them at a time. they are also super valuable as a low season sales tool to sell extra trips at the end of the year, typically when an outfitter needs to make their last dollars of the year. IK's hold their value incredibly well, better than just about any other piece of whitewater equipment. A 1200.00 Hyside Padillac will typically go for 900-1000.00 with a lot of use. Large stores like 4CRS in the above post will have nice gear at good prices, because they are selling off their Rental fleet to buy new for next season. Good hunting.

·
Registered
134 Posts
I was in your position wanting some inflatables this February and I found most outfits selling duckies were asking for wholesale. They used up the warranty and then listed them for the wholesale price they pay. Pretty lame but it looks like a good deal to someone who doesn't know any better.

You may be able to find a decent deal from an outfit but finding something that hasn't been abused is going to cost pretty darn close to new. Be patient and a much better deal (cheaper cost less abuse) will come up from a private boater.

·
Registered
314 Posts
Jimm, I would definitely keep an eye out on the classified ads here on the buzz. I sold my tandem Tomcat IK early this year on this site for $600, it was only used 6 times in great shape. The guy was from NewMexico and got a great deal (new is $1200). Most Ik's are sold in the raft section of ads. I still have my Sevylor SK100DS and my single Tomcat, although I will need to replace the tomcat next year cause zipper is tearing from boat. Good luck, lots of choices these days!!

·
Super Moderator
4,836 Posts
We have our end of season sale every year the weekend after Labor Day (Sept 12-13th this year). The sale is phone-in or in-store only, but we put the entire store at 20-50% off (a few exclusions apply due to dealer agreements), and sell our our rental and demo gear at 40-70% off retail.
4 Corners gives some great deals. Also check out places like Colorado Kayak Supply, Alpine Quest Sports and Confluence. They are all getting ready for these end of season sales. Rocky Mountain Outdoor Center is another good one to check with. At least in the past they have had some gear to sell off at the end of the season.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Confluence Kayaks is having their gear swap this weekend. I'm just getting into kayaking (as in I've only rafted, have zero kayak experience, but I'm buying a jackson karma), and I'm bummed I'll miss out on deals to get my self all set up.

·
Jared
733 Posts
I see that AIRE is currently blowing out their remaining trib Tomcats for 359 for singles new. There is a new design about ready to drop so I am guessing it is a closeout sale. I think the Boat people have them?

·
Registered
269 Posts
I see that AIRE is currently blowing out their remaining trib Tomcats for 359 for singles new. There is a new design about ready to drop so I am guessing it is a closeout sale. I think the Boat people have them?
Where do you see that? I still see $599. Was thinking of buying my younger son a starter boat and had been looking at used, but for $359, I might rethink.

·
Vendor
65 Posts
Tributary Kayaks

Where do you see that? I still see $599. Was thinking of buying my younger son a starter boat and had been looking at used, but for $359, I might rethink.
Yes, we are pushing through remaining stock of 2015 Tributary Tomcats, Strikes, and Sawtooths. At this point, we are just using our dealer network to give them an opportunity to makes some end of season sales. If we still have any remaining stock by Mid October, we will post them for sale on our site.

Please support local boat shops! 8) Here is a link to our dealer locator:
https://www.aire.com/store_locator.asp?zip=&rad=250

Cheers,
Sheena Coles
AIRE Marketing

·
Einer
51 Posts
Clavey sale last year

Last fall Clavey had a good sale.....20% off new NRS and Aire rafts and I think it was in October and it lasted for about a week or so.

·
Jared
733 Posts
I was wrong, the Tomcat LV is on sale for 359 and the regular Tomcat is 459, still a pretty good deal. I didn't read the fine print of the Cascade Outfitter add very well :-(

1 - 15 of 15 Posts