Mountain Buzz banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,350 Posts
At my elevation - 7600 ft - I wouldn't trust those tarp garages to withstand winter. Summer use? Sure. I suppose you could beef 'em up, but I think it would take significant modifications to make those things snow ready.

·
Registered
1,350 Posts
If you took the canopy route, I'd say you'd need to add extra ribs, beef up the ridge, and use concrete form stakes liberally to keep it tied down in wind. Could be done. I've looked at those structures as well. Toy storage is always an issue. The alternative? Rent a storage unit. All comes down to dough, doesn't it?

·
Just yesterday, I put my boats to bed for the winter. One of last years tarps got blown to bits, so I spent $20 on a new one. Took off the oar towers and the seat, wrapped them up and secured the tarp with cord and bungies. I have my boats on a double decker trailer and that is how they spend the winter. Covered and cold.

·
Registered
4,607 Posts
Rip - you'd be surprised at how durable those units are. I got one from costco last year for boat storage. You just have to stake it down properly (lots of good attachment points) for the wind, that's for sure. I was kind of lazy after I got it up, and it went for a little "walk", but was fine. How it walked with the trailer under it, I was amazed, it had been really windy. There are holes for tie-downs at each foot, and multiple places at the roof (each leg has a tie from the roof to the foot, to hold it together).

The costco version was about $150, and easy enough to assemble and disassemble we'll be taking it down every summer, since it is too ugly to be associated with my garden.

Missoula doesn't get consistent tons of snow in town (low elevation, 3200), so I can't speak to it for that yet. You may have to do a bit of maintenance every once in a while for roof snow, but I recommend checking on it anyways, for such things as to make sure there's no mouse stuck in the boat (different thread), and confirm everything is okey-dokey. For the cheap price, I pay the price for a bit more babysitting. But the first winter was just fine, and we had a "fair" amount of snow in town.

·
Registered
4,607 Posts
Wow, that's crazy, but a pretty weird unit as the roof hangs from the rafters. Ours sits on top, with some cables between those in addition to the steel poles. Ours is in a relatively protected spot, which may be key, but I still can't understand how it walked before I had it tied down...

1 - 9 of 9 Posts