Mountain Buzz banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
490 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone have any info about whether the road to Hog Park is open?

That thing is BIG right now.

·
Registered
286 Posts
Anyone been in there yet?

Does anyone have any info about whether the road to Hog Park is open?

That thing is BIG right now.
Just wanting to bump this up, hoping to get on it next weekend. June 6/7
Anybody heard if the road is open, or been up to the put-in yet?

·
Spits Hot Fire
978 Posts
You Wyo guys are supposed to be telling us if it is. :wink:

I dont know personally but thinking it's gotta be open by now. Schizzle and a slew of us were making plans today to get in there next weekend. We've got the big rigs, guns, dirt bikes and the positive mental attitude to make it happen soon...before it drops out too much.

·
Registered
286 Posts
You Wyo guys are supposed to be telling us if it is. :wink:

I dont know personally but thinking it's gotta be open by now. Schizzle and a slew of us were making plans today to get in there next weekend. We've got the big rigs, guns, dirt bikes and the positive mental attitude to make it happen soon...before it drops out too much.
Touche' You're right, but Jackson is a lot farther away from there than Steamboat or the Fort. Usually, you guys beat us Jackson folks in there by a few days. I have the Encampment ranger district number stashed away somewhere, will have to dig it up. Don't have the Hog Park camp ground number, didn't know about there was one.

·
Registered
178 Posts
The encampment forestry number is 307-326-5258. Post if they say it is open.

Thanks,

Zach.

·
Spits Hot Fire
978 Posts
Wyopadlr, did you have your location on there last night or was i too drunk to notice?

The sweet little old lady in the office said the road to hog park is still closed. Said someone looked into it on friday. I'm afraid they didn't give'er enough and still kinda sorta wanna get in there.

·
Registered
286 Posts
Thanks

The encampment forestry number is 307-326-5258. Post if they say it is open.

Thanks,

Zach.
Yah, I just called, too. She's probably tired of giving the same answer. She said unless a 'private citizen' with a big 4wd busted the drifts thru, that it was still more or less closed because they hadn't sent a plow crew up there yet. Maybe by the weekend?

·
Registered
286 Posts
What? A drunk boater???? never........ ;-)

Wyopadlr, did you have your location on there last night or was i too drunk to notice?
Yeah, it's always on there, but not really that important. Have truck, will travel. Did the Bear in Grace, Idaho yesterday, on a special release, and was pleasantly surprised to see one car with CO plates at the put-in. Long drive for someone, unless they were just passing thru on safari. Didn't get a chance to talk to 'em.

·
Spits Hot Fire
978 Posts
I know...a drunk boater. Who'da thunk.:mrgreen:

Well, we got a big 4wd truck. Might just have to give'er a go next weekend. We'll see how it develops.

·
Registered
286 Posts
Could a couple of sleds rip through there??
It's usually just big drifts, not solid snow, so you'd be back to dirt on the other side of any drift you took a sled over.
We could just talk some rich guy from Saratoga with nothing better to do to bust it all open with his Hummer..... ;-) too many of those things running around down there.

·
Registered
907 Posts
hahaha yea and there aren't any hummers in jackson...
Find some red neck driving around and he could gather up all his friends... Just give em 20 bucks for meth money and they'd be happy to do it :)

·
Registered
286 Posts
hahaha yea and there aren't any hummers in jackson...
Find some red neck driving around and he could gather up all his friends... Just give em 20 bucks for meth money and they'd be happy to do it :)
Hummers? Jackson? What? Only about 100 or so...... although they seem to be dwindling in numbers lately. It just always amazes me how many of them there are down in Saratoga, and how many private jets there are at that little airport. There is some serious, quiet, money hiding on big ranches up in them thar hills....... ;-)

·
Registered
490 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
That's funny. I haven't been keeping up on the board here and we all must have spammed the lady this morning because I just called her, too. She told me at least a week and maybe two. City of Cheyenne gets some of its water from there and they'd been in there on snowcats recently.

Hmm. My experience with early season boating in the nearby Snowies turned out to be one of my more glorious failures. We tried to do Rock Creek from the top. Two boaters experienced two complete boat failures (mine before even reaching the put-in), one unrepairable skirt tear from a skirt vs. snowmobile encounter, & several hundred rounds of ammo were extinguished and generously donated by the Laramie contingency. That's just the materials portion of the invoice, where they really get you is in the labor: two weekends were consumed. First one spent destroying said boats, then another one extracting destroyed boats...Hooty sez don't pollute kids...

Overall it was a pretty fun trip though...character-building.

Attachments

·
Registered
286 Posts
Road update: 2pm Thurs. 6/4

Just talked to the nice lady at Forest Service, she said no crew has tried to go up and they were in no hurry, since Hog Park Campground will be closed for the summer this year. (no early season water samples, clean-up, nothing) She gave me the phone # of the Conoco in Riverside/Encampment 307-327-5720. The lady I reached there said someone had just come back from trying, and as of today, there is still TOO MUCH SNOW at "Soldier." So, unless somebody has info otherwise, or there is a miracle heat wave tomorrow, it looks like nobody is gonna get up there this weekend. Bummer, cause it's nice and big right now, the way you want it.

·
Spits Hot Fire
978 Posts
Thanks for the info. Sounds like some work needs to be done. Funkins just sent a text sayin he flew over it today and it looked JUICIN.

·
Registered
449 Posts
Of course we were around 500 feet or so...but damn! I've flown over it a few times before and that is the biggest I've seen it. Looked like about 12-15 miles of continuousness. Way back there too...isolated. We should try to get it next weekend if it comes down a touch...

·
Registered
286 Posts
Thanks for the info. Sounds like some work needs to be done. Funkins just sent a text sayin he flew over it today and it looked JUICIN.
It would be nice if somebody closer to it, who had a badass big 4wd truck, went up and gave 'er a go to bust some tire ruts down to dirt/mud. Roads always seem to melt out faster after that first set of tire tracks gets down to ground :) It takes us a good solid 5 1/2 hours just to get to the takeout from up here.

Please post any updates if it gets good to go. Thanks.

·
Spits Hot Fire
978 Posts
The big rig idea is bein tossed around for next weekend. Goin to the Obj for now.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts