Mountain Buzz banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How do you guys haul out hundreds of empty crushed beer cans on a week long trip? Looking for a durable solution that can hold up to the sharp corners of a crushed beer can. Im thinking of a big bag of sorts. Thanks.

·
Registered
460 Posts
How did you haul them in? They are a lot lighter when you drink them and smaller when you squish them. Old turn out bags, old dry bags, milk crates with plywood lids, plastic bags inside a spent cooler or straight in the cooler, semi sealed plastic bags inside dry boxes, burlaps sacks, empty drag bags, ammo cans, drop bags. The awesome thing about a beer can is it's 12 oz lighter and 95% smaller when you're done with it. If you're not into worrying about fumes, smelting is a fun exercise too.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I use a large plastic kitty litter container which is easy access. Drill holes up top to run strap for securing to boat and one for keeping the lid closed. I drill holes in the bottom so it won't keep a bunch of backwash in the container. If you have a big party group then you can empty it into a burlap, drag bag, old dry bag etc.

·
SarahofTheWaves
402 Posts
Just don't let anyone throw an empty can in the bottom of your boat. Have a convenient place to keep them during the day.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Malt bags from a brewery. They are made of the same material as plastic tarps and are fairly durable and offer enough sharp edge protection for my tastes. Best part is they're FREE!!! Just about any brewery will give them to you as typically they end up in the trash or recycling anyway.

·
Registered
4,482 Posts
Feed bags. Free from horse people or 4H/FFA kids.
And use re-useable zip ties to hold them closed.

If you don't like sharp corners, relearn how to crush them. Take the pinkie side of your hand and make 4-6 full height diagonal wrinkles on the side of each can. Twist/crush in on the ends and your can will twist/crumple and pull the sharp corners in. 3 diagonals sometimes leaves sharp corners, 4 is easy. 6 is difficult, but a good challenge..and never a sharp corner. I consistently get 5 dents.
Thanks to @SERE Nate for the tip.

·
Registered
817 Posts
5 gallon buckets. Food comes out, trash goes back in. Either one for recycling or the cans go outside the trash bag liner and trash goes inside.

·
Renaissance *******
1,374 Posts
During the day I have a trash bucket with a top flap that keeps stuff in. i Use a 5G bucket with a lid. Drill drain holes in the bottom and cut a square flap in the top that opens toward the center (not the side, too hard to shove stuff in). Also replace the metal handle with a rope or web handle for better attachment options. And, Crush the cans by hand to save space and impress the raft muffins with my mighty strength. Then smash the cans with a mallet in camp and put them in a 50lb dog food bag inside of a black trash bag. I also use another dog food bag inside a trash bag setup for camp trash. I tend to only drink beer during the day because you can't really get drunk on beer. In camp I switch to something more interesting. TO ALL MY FRIENDS!!!

·
Registered
45 Posts
I don't bother crushing, so no sharp edges, then they go into a mesh decoy bag then on top of or hanging from the back of the gear pile.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Like others already suggested...I bring a couple 5G buckets with gamma lids, storing meal & snack items that I don't want crushed (breads, chips etc) then as these things are ravenously consumed replace them with crushed cans or trash. Works pretty well, so long as am not the sole recipient. As for boat'n beers, those end up in a zippered mesh bag uncrushed until shore leave

·
Registered
548 Posts
It makes a interesting noise as well. My diamond plate floors are in the front and back. Make your passengers crush the cans. Day crushers go in a small bucket with a lid it so you can get crushed cans in but they won’t come out. Smash em down in camp with a mallet it it’s a long trip 5 or 6 days don’t sweat it. The before mentioned army surplus duck bags are the shit for big trip empty’s.

·
Premium Member
2,260 Posts
I use canvas duffel bags from the military surplus for both trash and cans. Never had an issue. 3 lb hammer with a 4 inch steel disk welded to one face. Smashes them flat as a pancake, works wonders for tin cans as well.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts