Mountain Buzz banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey is any body run it or wanna run it this weekend????

·
Registered
16 Posts
Embudo

I have never run the Embudo and would love to run it. I think a guide would be really helpfull though. There's two or three of us in the Salida area ready for some weekend thrills!

·
Registered
1,303 Posts
Do you think it's high enough? I was going to wait until next weekend to make it worth the trip. thoughts?

·
Registered
112 Posts
i ran it a few weeks ago for the first time. the level was 2.8 and i thought it was perfect for a first time run. it was slightly bony going in and out. it's definitely at a good level right now. be respectful of the locals, if for no other reason than to keep our access to this gem - it is a sweeeeet creek.

·
Registered
1,303 Posts
Another question, is it feasible to make it a one day trip? Say leave tonight, and paddle tomorrow, then come back tomorrow night? Front Range to put in drive time?

I want a longer weekend down there, but I have to do it next weekend, truck problems...

·
Registered
807 Posts
Kyle, we do it from Salida in a day, there and back. We are headed there tommorow. It is about three hours from Salida. I am not sure from the Front Range, but I am sure it is not too much longer.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Some people like to run it all the way down to 2.5, for me 3.0 to 3.5 is the sweet spot. 3.0 is a perfect first time level IMO because a lot of the little stuff that can through off your line is covered, but its not super big yet. Should be 3.0 tomorrow or Sunday. If you have someone who has run it before its pretty easy to read and run the who thing and it takes about 2-3hours so a day trip would be doable from the front range. We are going today through Sunday, but are maxed out group wise.

·
Registered
745 Posts
quote from gordon

"I think your prediction is correct. 2.9 to 3.0 flows means boney.
Forrest
and I discussed our desire for 3.2+ flows. It's too far a drive for
weak
flows"

·
Registered
30 Posts
Ran Embudo yesterday

We ran the Embudo yesterday and it was bony. The level was 2.8 and a good first time level. Be careful, however, of sleepers that trip you up, keep you out of eddy's you thought you were going to catch and their unexpected pin causing potential. I think 3.0-3.3 would be the best level for a smoother ride without being to much of an in your face run. Just remember. of course, as the water gets higher everything gets smoother but all the holes get stickier.

Have fun, it's a sick run!

-PJ

·
Charc in = charc out
475 Posts
2.9 definitely seemed boney. lots of little sleepers in literally every rapid. i would like to see it with another couple inches for sure.

kyle, we did the saturday-drive & sunday-paddle/drive thing the other week (from freakin' wyoming!) & it was pretty easy as long as you have a spare driver in the vehicle. if you wanna go creeking real bad, then you just make it work.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Embudo first timer

Embudo first timer looking for someone who has run it before and doesn't mind having a tag along. I live in Salida and should have the whole weekend open.

Is it at a good level for a first timer?

·
Registered
1,303 Posts
Mainer and Harvey, please give me a call asap. 303-918-7546. Still making plans. Can we team up with your group Harvey? It's me and Fred Zachrel (however the hell I spell his last name).

Trying to decide soon...

·
Registered
1,471 Posts
How does this run compare to the upper T box? Harder or easier? More or less risk/commitment? Scoutability? Thanks
Joe

·
Registered
499 Posts
I would say that the upper taos box and embudo are similar in overal difficulty but have completely different characters with completely different hazards. I think the Embudo (at this level) is only slightly harder than the upper box, but lacks the scary sieve factor. Mostly the challenge with the Embudo is knowing when to stop and scout as it is so incredibly continuous. It would be super easy to blunder into the biggest rapids if you don't have a guide. Of course now that I am super broke and won't be driving down there it is guaranteed to go off this weekend! :roll:

·
Registered
518 Posts
gators

they are big and have been discovered below long rapid. must have been flushed down a toilet upstream. the run is mellow but the crocs have gotten huge and hungrey. don't miss the take out, walmart just sold out of 12 guage, boating season must have started in NM. see ya this weekend. adios, ATOM>>>> :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

1 - 16 of 16 Posts