Mountain Buzz banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
303 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
has anyone ever elfed this section of the uncompahgre?

Untitled Page

im originally from ouray and i was there for thanksgiving this past weekend. this stretch of river is fairly steep and bony right now but looks like it would be super fun to run at these low flows. doesnt look any harder then pine creek it would just be super continuous.

·
Registered
820 Posts
My hot tip for running the Uncompagre is to continue driving north and go to Escalante instead.

In all seriousness, I have done this run once at about 700 cfs. At that level it felt like fast and pushy 4+ but with some very shallow and sharp rocks all around you. Not that hard, but if you flipped, you would get absolutely destroyed. The lack of boofs, cool moves, etc. combined with the possibility of getting decapitated makes for a pretty low quality run. Plus it is really short.

If you still want to do it after reading this description, I would guess the bare minimum is somewhere around 300cfs, but I wouldn't do that to my kayak.

·
Registered
808 Posts
i have done this down to 300 or so. could go lower, but at these low flows head up to the gorge section(s) above the ice park. the lower is better at higher water, where there actually are a few good boofs and lines, you just have to know where they are, as things happen fast in there, especially at high flows. overall a hi-consequence but fun run. glad to have it close by.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts