Mountain Buzz banner

1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
1,453 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Come to a gathering of the tribes the last weekend in September. Free camping on site in South Main overlooking the rio in BV. The Ark offers some wonderful low water and ELF level boating. Depending on levels, which may be "fat", there are multiple runs to be had. From laps on Pine Creek to runs all the way to town as well as Browns Canyon. Fall colors should be peaking and temps will be camping friendly. BYOB. More info to come.

·
Super Moderator
4,836 Posts
Should be lots of fun. Similar to Day of the Dead last year but at the peak of the leaf change. I will post a few photos later...

·
Registered
1,449 Posts
Free camping in town and live music? Unless it's snowing I hope to be there :)

·
Registered
1,235 Posts
Come on Jen. You can handle a little solid precip. :p

Sent from my iPhone using Mountain Buzz

·
Registered
312 Posts
wont be able to make it this year, but curious.... how does ELF on numbers compare to upper taylor at 400? ... and do people ever run inflatable kayaks like force or sotar down numbers at these low flows?

·
Registered
1,453 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Don't know Taylor well enough to compare well but sections of the Ark are very high quality boating at ELF. I am off to Moab and then a Deso Gray kayak self support for the next 10 days so I won't be able to answer any questions here till I'm back.

This is going to be a fun event with CKS and the Deerhammer helping to make it happen. Hope to see a good turnout of old and new friends.

Cheers!

·
Registered
1,235 Posts
Speaking as one who had to hike after a post pine creek swim once, it's not that bad. Oddly enough, I swam the boogie water, trying to catch an eddy, after the last double drop.

Sent from my iPhone using Mountain Buzz

·
Registered
1,453 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
263 cfs in the Numbers and 405 in Browns. Really nice low water levels. The mountains are starting to color nicely. We're 10 days out from a great weekend. Hope to see a good MBuzz showing.

·
Registered
735 Posts
We are going to plan a fun and easy slalom course on Saturday afternoon down in South Main pre the BBQ. We could time people or just do self timing or no timing. Stay tuned. Easy, upstream, down stream ELF course. Free fun......

·
Registered
314 Posts
Really hope this gorgeous warm weather hangs on for this event. Will do my very best to bring at least 4 paddlers from Montrose/Grand Junction area. Planning on the Ark valley on Sat. and hitting Taylor on our return trip home. What a fantastic year we have had. I usually put the Ik away by end of Sept., but I'm planning on running as late as I can, maybe even travel somewhere warm this winter. I've decided to quit feeding this insane corporate beast, quit paying taxes, and live as simple as possible.

·
don't bogart that
185 Posts
Are there any hidden AHRA fees?

Sounds like a great time! This puke is going to get his A$$ in gear and make it happen. :p

·
Registered
57 Posts
Hey Phil

Sounds like a great time. Definitely coming down and hopefully bringing a couple of folks.
A couple of questions:
1) What days can we camp at south main? Sat only or could we even come in thursday night?
2) would you mind a small popup camper or is it tents only?

Thanks

·
Registered
1,453 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
No AHRA fees unless you access the rio from one of their access points. Popup camping early would be fine. Its a free party but we will be looking for $ contributions for the band.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Hi Phil

Thanks for the info. Definitely would like to contribute to cost. It is great of you guys to organize this.

I might come down Thursday night so I can get on the water Friday. If anyone else is coming down early and wants to do a browns canyon run (or/maybe another run) on Friday let me know.
Chris

1 - 20 of 48 Posts